2020/1/21: Game Boy: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back From The

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/1/21: Game Boy: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back From The

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 21st, 2020, 7:04 pm

Let me hear what you think about this set of TMNT Game Boy reviews!

Matchstick

Re: 2020/1/21: Game Boy: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back From

Postby Matchstick » January 21st, 2020, 10:29 pm

I don't usually comment so early on these review feedback threads, but I am very, very happy that these three games wound up being the "mystery trio" teased in another posting. I'm not the world's biggest TMNT fan by any stretch, but I did grow up during the Turtlemania era, and played all three of these games back in the day.

For the most part, the reviews are spot on. I felt like Back From the Sewers was a bit too similar to the original game, and though the Turtles and enemies looked different, I didn't think the game really looked any better than its predecessor. Radical Rescue, on the other hand, was a bit too complicated for me as a youngster. Maybe the Metroid-style gameplay would be more appealing to me now, but back then, I was just miffed that there was a TMNT game that didn't let me play as Raphael. C'mon, now!!

Of the three, I'll take Fall of the Foot Clan all day. The line in the review about the game being designed "for kids on long car rides" is eerily accurate, as that's where I mostly played the game! I always joke that the whole reason my folks got me a Game Boy was to keep me distracted while my Mum took me shopping with her in the grocery store or wherever. Yeah, Foot Clan kept me preoccupied on many different occasions.

Along with Tetris and Super Mario Land, I feel that Foot Clan is one of the best early-era Game Boy titles, and has aged much better than the first Castlevania and first Mega Man Game Boy title produced around the same time. I consider it a must-have game, mostly because it's affordable, common, simple, and not too challenging. Most used game shops probably have it for about $5 or so, and it's a great "whenever" game you can pop in and plow through from start to finish in half an hour, if that.

A great game for all ages and experience levels, and it's short length encapsulates everything that's great about the Game Boy. If you're looking for something to keep you busy on your lunch break or just want a "warmup" game you can whip through before playing something more drawn-out, Foot Clan is the game for you!

Retro STrife

Re: 2020/1/21: Game Boy: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back From

Postby Retro STrife » January 22nd, 2020, 9:44 am

Didn't see this one coming! But glad to see it- fun reads, and always good to see more TMNT games reviewed, and Game Boy games.

I have Fall of the Foot Clan and your review seems spot on. And, even though you rated TMNT III as the lowest, it sounded the most interesting to me.. I might have to check it out.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » January 24th, 2020, 5:26 pm

Never would have imagined the second game getting the highest score. The sprites are big, and filled with charm, but you really pay the price for that size. Even the action figures are more flexible. To me, Fall just has more personality, even with the zombie turtles.

Still, agreed on the third being the worst. Or at least, the most disappointing. And I'll admit to being biased for it - an 8-bit TMNT Metroidvania? That's a very random mash-up of four things I love. Add in classic Konami's magic touch with controls and presentation, and how could it possibly go wrong?

Well, you do a great job of describing how it all went wrong. Thank you! This was exactly what I needed to read, to break me out of my nostalgia tinged Stockholm's. Level design is even more important in a game built around exploration, and in this game, the exploration feels way too much like being an unpaid beta tester for my best friend's first indie title rom hack. Sure, this is a year before Super Metroid rewarded every boundary break you could come up with, but it's still 4 years after Cadash and Dragon's Trap showed us where the genre was headed in the future.

Give me Faxanadu over this, any day.

My only disagreement is over the pizza...complaining about that, feels like complaining that you can also eat a pizza whenever you like in Symphony of the Night.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 24th, 2020, 7:41 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Never would have imagined the second game getting the highest score. The sprites are big, and filled with charm, but you really pay the price for that size. Even the action figures are more flexible. To me, Fall just has more personality, even with the zombie turtles.

I really went back and forth on this one. I think I put TMNT2 a little ahead after playing them all shortly before posting the reviews. I think it was the speed of the game and polish that put it over the top. Still, depending on the day I could go either way. All I know is, TMNT3 felt like a bit of a chore.

Return to “Review Feedback”