2020/2/5: Xbox One: Ori and the Blind Forest

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Kob

Re: 2020/2/5: Xbox One: Ori and the Blind Forest

Postby Kob » February 10th, 2020, 4:57 pm

Overall I really appreciate the work done here. I've been following this page for many years and never expressed myself here before, but today I had to come here. For me, "Ori and The Blind Forest" is a masterpiece worthy of at least an A grade (I give A+ in the Definitive Edition). So, it was painful to see a D here for a game that I had great pleasure in finishing, bringing me a lot of entertainment and emotion during the journey and made me very anxious for the announced sequence. Just as it hurt the C- given to "Gradius V" (for me, one of the best shmups ever made), just to name a few examples of scores that I disagreed with. However, it's also fair to say that I agreed with many other reviews. That's it.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » February 11th, 2020, 1:45 pm

Welcome to the forum.

You cannot compare this site with those that have multiple reviewers where material is sourced towards reviewer preferences. Ori and the Blind Forest is widely acknowledged as a tier one game it should be a case of interest to see a discussion and review where the reviewer and several people do not particularly agree with the common consensus. This should not serve to detract from your opinion of the game.

evergreen13

Postby evergreen13 » February 14th, 2020, 4:02 pm

Yeah, there's always going to be games that I like that the Critic doesn't. Off the top of my head, I recall being disappointed by his reviews of F-Zero GX, The Orange Box, and Monster Hunter 3 - I just love those games so much that I can't understand why he'd give those first two "C" grades (though I get why someone wouldn't jive with Monster Hunter). The thing is, you can always trust the Critic to give an honest review, and throughout all these years I really have a strong sense of what type of "gamer" he is (although I can't stand that term), and generally I have a similar taste in games as the Critic.

As for Ori, I haven't played it so I have no real opinion on it. That said, as much as I enjoy some Metroidvania games, I have come to realize two things: 1. I have to be in the mood for a Metroidvania game; 2. Some Metroidvania games just don't click with me. Maybe this is due to the quality of the game, or sometimes it just might be the aesthetic. Or just the arrangement of the world. I honestly don't even know why some click with me and others don't.

Return to “Review Feedback”