2020/2/5: Xbox One: Ori and the Blind Forest

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/2/5: Xbox One: Ori and the Blind Forest

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 5th, 2020, 9:41 pm

I'm told this review might rile up the internet. I doubt it.
Feedback is encouraged as always.

Paul Campbell

Re: 2020/2/5: Xbox One: Ori and the Blind Forest

Postby Paul Campbell » February 6th, 2020, 3:02 am

I actually bought this game after my son and I had literally squeezed every bit of life out of Hollow Knight as possible, and I thought this looked like a similar game that might fill the void. Long story short, playing it IMMEDIATELY after Hollow Knight, which is now my actual favorite game of all time, did not do it any favors. We lost interest quickly. But I wouldnt be a bit surprised to learn that Team Cherry had drawn inspiration from this game, nonetheless...

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » February 6th, 2020, 8:37 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm told this review might rile up the internet. I doubt it.
Feedback is encouraged as always.

I always felt this game was overrated but it probably is more B- or C+ territory than D. The issue is that there are several great Metroidvania titles knocking around, notably Axiom Verge/Hollow Knight/Bloodstained, that are so far ahead of the rest it makes it awfully difficult to have a fair perspective on a title that has elements of good and mediocre. I would have great trouble playing Ori right now given what excellence lurks elsewhere. Playing it after masterpieces like Verge/Knight would be like playing Ocarina of Time on the N64 for the first time after griding 70 hours on Breath of the Wild. If Breath of the Wild is an A- game you would need a strong drink to give Ocarina anything more than an F. Different if you played Ocarina first, Rose Tinted Glasses are a powerful tool and completely necessary for reviewing some titles. Ori is one such title that needs these proverbial glasses - the experience of playing it first before subsequent vastly superior titles.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 6th, 2020, 4:19 pm

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I was bracing myself but apparently I'm not the only one who's underwhelmed.

My friend Brent mentioned in the review thinks a D is a complete travesty, but then again he loves to play Devils advocate.

SuperiorShark

Postby SuperiorShark » February 6th, 2020, 6:03 pm

Wow, considering the high praise this game has been getting and now seeing that the Critic is underwhelmed, I might just have to pick this one up to see what all the hub-bub is all about.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » February 7th, 2020, 9:30 am

As an addendum to my previous comment, the Metroidvania game that eventually did a fantastic job of filling the void, in case any of you find yourself in the same predicament, was Alwa's Awakening... especially its soundtrack.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 7th, 2020, 2:28 pm

It almost feels like suddenly there's too many Metroidvania games.. Never thought I'd say that.. I'm playing another well-regarded one right now -- Guacamelee. Good game so far, but not in the upper echelon IMO. I had Ori on my list if I ever bought an Xbox One, but it sounds like a pass. And I still haven't played Axiom Verge or Hollow Knight!

brent

Postby brent » February 7th, 2020, 4:14 pm

I'd grade this review a D. And that's generous!

brent

Postby brent » February 7th, 2020, 4:23 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:I actually bought this game after my son and I had literally squeezed every bit of life out of Hollow Knight as possible, and I thought this looked like a similar game that might fill the void. Long story short, playing it IMMEDIATELY after Hollow Knight, which is now my actual favorite game of all time, did not do it any favors. We lost interest quickly. But I wouldnt be a bit surprised to learn that Team Cherry had drawn inspiration from this game, nonetheless...

I was in exactly the same situation (well, I only got 111% on Hollow Knight). Then, after a fling with Celeste I picked up Ori. I don't think of it as much of a metroidvania-esque game like axiom and hk, but I think it was great. Like hard bosses in hollow Knight, I like the sense of accomplishment on those hard end stages... Especially that last one. Yet they don't make you hate yourself like hard Celeste stages.

I predict that peer pressure will inspire vgc to finish the game and upon reflection he'll increase the grade. To a D+.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » February 8th, 2020, 12:17 am

If he's going to finish ANY game on account of the fact that it is guaranteed to force him to raise its score, that game is Portal.

And I also loved Celeste for a while until it made me want to pummel everyone I hold dear...

Return to “Review Feedback”