Best and Worst Console Game Lists Updated

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Best and Worst Console Game Lists Updated

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 9th, 2020, 12:57 pm

It was three years since I originally posted my best and worst console games list, so figured it was time for a revision.

https://videogamecritic.com/extras/themes/best50-1.htm

https://videogamecritic.com/extras/themes/worst50-1.htm

I'll list the changes below. If you want it to be a surprise, read no further!

Best 50:
- Swapped #2 Legend of Zelda Link to the Past with #1 Super Mario Odyssey. I feel like the Zelda game has more lasting impact.
- added Hollow Knight (#14), Resident Evil (#41), and Axiom Verge (#42).
- dropped off to honorable mention: Crash Team Racing, House of the Dead 2, and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.

Worst 20:
- added Who Wants to Beat Up a Millionaire (#3), The Simpson's Wrestling (#4), and Mark McMorris Infinite Air (#50).
- dropped Looney Tunes: Back in Action, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (the most controversial entry), and Aquaman for the Xbox which I recently revised upward to a D.

Thoughts? Let's hear em.

TheEagleXIII

Re: Best and Worst Console Game Lists Updated

Postby TheEagleXIII » February 9th, 2020, 2:39 pm

Ugh Simpsons Wrestling - totally deserving of the spot. Not just a cash-in combining 2 super popular things but a terrible game to boot. I was a huge fan of both and was looking forward to it back when it was released. I knew it wouldn't be great, but thought it'd be decent or at least fun/entertaining - even if they at least tried to poorly imitate literally any other wrestling game from the previous few years.

It was bad enough that it wasn't even a passable fighting game, let alone wrestling. To make it worse, it was paradoxically both insanely difficult to beat, yet such a short game with zero replay value. The front cover had Willie spinning Homer above his head but none of the characters could even grapple let alone do that and only had, what, 3 attacks?

No strategy, no variety, no fun, and not even worthy of a rental.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » February 9th, 2020, 3:45 pm

its awesome that you put Realsports Baseball at #13 on the all time best game list..i played that game so much when i bought it in 1983..it'really is the best classic baseball game...i will disagree with you on putting Tron Solar Sailor on the worst list tho..then again i haven't played it for years but i used to really like that game but ya writing down those codes was kind of annoying lol

Retrology

Postby Retrology » February 9th, 2020, 6:35 pm

Link to the Past back at #1 I see.

Breath of the Wild deserves that spot in my book.

RDReynolds

Postby RDReynolds » February 9th, 2020, 7:15 pm

White Men Can't Jump not being in the top 5 worst of all time is a crime. And I love the Jaguar!

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » February 9th, 2020, 8:10 pm

Odyssey is one helluva good game and deserves a spot somewhere on a top 100 but you putting it at number 1 convinced me that this list is your own and not tailored towards some sort of middle ground. I like that. Political lists that say "well I have to include Half Life 2 somewhere in there" suck because when you read the short description, the lack of enthusiasm suggests the reviewer felt he/she had to include it versus wanting to include it.

You really like Hollow Knight that much? Wow. It is a great game do not get me wrong but Verge takes it. 10 hours, just right. Hollow Knight - full completion - I am guessing 30-40hours. No Sidescroller should last 40 hours. While I loved Hollow Knight and feel a top 100 spot is deserved, I was relieved to put it down. It was starting to drag once I pretty much completed everything but needed another 5-10 hours backtracking since new abilities are not well spaced out. Lots and lots of backtracking. 40plus hour grindfests should be kept with the Fallout 4 / Skyrim / Breath of Wild Titles.

I like to see Link to the Past back at #1. By far the best Zelda title and the theme to the Dark World still stirs my soul.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » February 9th, 2020, 10:12 pm

DrLitch wrote:You really like Hollow Knight that much? Wow. It is a great game do not get me wrong but Verge takes it. 10 hours, just right. Hollow Knight - full completion - I am guessing 30-40hours. No Sidescroller should last 40 hours. While I loved Hollow Knight and feel a top 100 spot is deserved, I was relieved to put it down. It was starting to drag once I pretty much completed everything but needed another 5-10 hours backtracking since new abilities are not well spaced out. Lots and lots of backtracking. 40plus hour grindfests should be kept with the Fallout 4 / Skyrim / Breath of Wild Titles.

I guess I need to go back to Axiom Verge and maybe restart from the beginning - I put about 3-4 hours into it and went from "excited" to "bored and frustrated" in probably 90 minutes or so. I don't know why but I could put up with occasionally being lost or clueless in Hollow Knight so much more easily than I could in Axiom Verge - maybe because HK was easier on the eyes and ears, or because each new character or location in HK had so much personality? It just felt like every time I poked around in HK, I found something new and fun to look at or talk to or fight or play with and it did a lot to encourage me to power past rough spots like the Mantis Lords or the Watcher Knights. It took about 50 hours before the game's size and length began to weigh on me. I liked the gritty atmosphere in Axiom Verge and there were some cool bosses and weapons (especially the gun that seemed to create glitches) but then I got stuck and lost interest very quickly. Having said that, the same thing happened in Super Metroid and that's probably the most similar Metroidvania to this one. Metroidvanias are one of my favorite genres but I'm finding that there's a sharp divide between the ones that work for me and the ones that don't.
Last edited by velcrozombie on February 10th, 2020, 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 10th, 2020, 9:49 am

Still love this list. I like that it focuses purely on what's fun, sort of like what DrLitch said.. like it's your list, and not some attempt to please everyone with obligatory choices. For example, I agree that Virtua Tennis is one of the 50 most fun games of all time... but what other site would put a tennis game on their top 50 list? So props for that, and many similar entries on the list (Road Rash, NBA Jam: TE, etc.). Interesting add with Resident Evil too; I wonder what inspired that, but I like the choice. I still gotta try Hollow Knight too and see what all the fuss is about!

Also, thank you for correcting your #1 spot by knocking down Super Mario Odyssey. That choice bothered me a bit before. This was the post I made in 2017 when you added it at #1 last time:

Setting aside my recent anti Super Mario Odyssey complaints, I still find it tough to put any brand new game at #1 on the list. I feel like it'd be better to have a game there that has stuck with you long term and has proven to stand the test of time, rather than one that you just started a few weeks ago and are probably still in the midst of playing. It sets up an issue a few years from now if you're re-editing this list, as to whether you have to downgrade it due to the passage of time (rather than a usual reason, like other games surpassing it). I think it's a fair point, because I know that you felt similarly about Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 when you first played them and yet they didn't even make your original Top 50 list.

I feel psychic now! Anyway, I still think 3D Mario games are really overrated, but at least at #2 I can sleep a little better at night...

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 10th, 2020, 9:52 am

P.S. Typo notes: You have two #41's and Crash Team Racing wasn't moved off.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » February 10th, 2020, 12:18 pm

velcrozombie wrote:I guess I need to go back to Axiom Verge and maybe restart from the beginning - I put about 3-4 hours into it and went from "excited" to "bored and frustrated" in probably 90 minutes or so. .... Metroidvanias are one of my favorite genres but I'm finding that there's a sharp divide between the ones that work for me and the ones that don't.

Go back to Verge sometime. The game thinks and acts like Metroid in many ways. The designer clearly drew inspiration from it. There is only really one section where you can get hopelessly stuck - then that what FAQ/Walkthrough's are for :D.

Hollow Knight has a huge map. 30hours vs 10hours for Verge. For a completionist it is a lot of work to go back and forth particularly when the fast travel Ant Stations are far apart and rest spots can be placed a decent ways from a major boss fight (making it harder to master and remember the boss patterns).
Last edited by DrLitch on February 10th, 2020, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Review Feedback”