2020/3/3: Super Nintendo: Jim Power: The Lost Dimension in 3D, Street Racer

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/3/3: Super Nintendo: Jim Power: The Lost Dimension in 3D, Street Racer

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 3rd, 2020, 6:35 pm

Got a couple of new SNES reviews for your reading pleasure. Let me know what you think.

CaptainCruch

Re: 2020/3/3: Super Nintendo: Jim Power: The Lost Dimension in 3D, Street Racer

Postby CaptainCruch » March 4th, 2020, 3:02 am

Nice reviews, but I don't really agree. I thought both games were fairly decent.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 4th, 2020, 7:57 pm

I can understand that Captain Crunch - these games definitely have their strong points and a cult following I'm sure. Feel free to let us know which parts of my reviews you disagree you. I promise I won't get mad! ;)

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » March 5th, 2020, 1:55 am

I really like the visual appeal of Jim Power, but what keeps me playing - despite all the shortcomings you mentioned - is the fantastic soundtrack! I think the music is really good, missed that in your review :)

On Street Racer, I played the Sega Saturn version a lot back in the days - well, not the single-player, but only old-school splitscreen. While the single-player may not be the most interesting (I was surprised you didn't mention that annoying rabbit cartoon in your review - or that probably wasn't in the SNES/Genesis version, just in the PS1/Saturn versions), but I rank it fairly high as a multiplayer-game.

I just felt your D-ratings were a little low, for two well produced games. C+ for me :)

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 5th, 2020, 9:58 am

CaptainCruch wrote:On Street Racer, I played the Sega Saturn version a lot back in the days - well, not the single-player, but only old-school splitscreen. While the single-player may not be the most interesting (I was surprised you didn't mention that annoying rabbit cartoon in your review - or that probably wasn't in the SNES/Genesis version, just in the PS1/Saturn versions), but I rank it fairly high as a multiplayer-game.

I just felt your D-ratings were a little low, for two well produced games. C+ for me :)

I haven't played Street Racer, but I'd note that the Saturn version looks like a big upgrade over the SNES version (or, at least, the graphics look like a big upgrade). So it might not be an equal comparison.

However, the Street Racer wikipedia page makes a lot of mention about the "beat em up" aspects of the game. They make it sound almost like Mario Kart combined with Road Rash. (Actually, Wikipedia says the game was marketed as "a cross between Mario Kart and Street Fighter", with comedic elements thrown in. But I like the Road Rash comparison better..) I was surprised that the VGC review doesn't really mention the combat at all, except a passing reference about having 4 attack buttons. But maybe the combat was a far less important component of the game, despite the marketing efforts to highlight it.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 5th, 2020, 3:34 pm

I love Jim Power for the soundtrack (Chris Hülsbeck), but the controls take forever to get comfortable with...

Hadn't played Street Racer, would be fun to try and sample. For some reason I always glance at the title and my brain thinks "Speed Racer," which is odd because there *IS* an SNES Speed Racer game.

Return to “Review Feedback”