2020/3/11: Nintendo 64: Battletanx: Global Assault, Jet Force Gemini

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/3/11: Nintendo 64: Battletanx: Global Assault, Jet Force Gemini

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 11th, 2020, 7:24 pm

Two new N64 reviews for you to comment on. Not terrible but not good either.

Retrology

Re: 2020/3/11: Nintendo 64: Battletanx: Global Assault, Jet Force Gemini

Postby Retrology » March 11th, 2020, 7:36 pm

Critic, I'm surprised you didn't mention the music to Jet Force Gemini. I really think it's deserving of the "Great Music" icon as it has arguably the best soundtrack on the N64 imo.

Anyway, a D+ was higher than I expected from you on the game, lol. I do agree it's frustrating but there are moments where I enjoyed it. I'd probably give it a B- but a D+ is fairly reasonable.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 12th, 2020, 8:12 am

I have very fond memories of Battletanx: Global Assault (more than it's predecessor), though I never did try the 4-player mode, only single and two player. I recall it being fun and chaotic, which was what I was looking for at the time.

For Jet Force Gemini... I didn't play this one until the mid-2000s, and I just could not get into it. It had good ideas, but it just never grabbed me.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 12th, 2020, 9:11 am

Jet Force Gemini is one of those games that I feel like N64 owners have good memories of, especially if you were a kid at the time and could overlook the flaws. I've always wanted to try it and your review inspired me to finally pop it in last night. Played it for about 30 minutes. From that limited period, your review seemed spot on. It's funny that sometimes your reviews act as good "instruction manual" for readers. I mean that in a good way. Like I understood Jet Force Gemini immediately because I had read your review, whereas I think I would have been totally confused if I played it without that. (That happens a lot with Atari 2600 games too.. like I have no clue what's happening on screen, then read the review and it finally makes sense.)

Anyway, boy did cameras suck back in the 90s, huh.. It's really hard to go back and play a shooter before the two joystick method came along. I imagine Jet Force Gemini was more enjoyable back in 1999, when this camera scheme was the norm. Plus, 3rd person shooters were pretty uncommon back then, so it probably nicely filled that niche. I mean, Gamespot gave it an 88 back in 1999 and they were pretty tough scorers back then. But nowadays it's tough to get into. I might play it again tonight to give it one more shot, but I don't think I'll have any motivation to stick with it.

MaverickMoPete

Postby MaverickMoPete » January 9th, 2024, 2:42 pm

Jet Force Gemini recently got released on the Nintendo Switch Online's N64 Emulator.

And let me tell you. Trying to control that game is even worse with the Switch Controller.

A Switch Port that actually took advantage of the Switch's Two-Sticks Controller could have salvaged it, pushing it at least to C-grade territory.

But it's just so awkward having to use the right stick to move while the left stick aims when you switch to shooting mode.

It was barely passable on the original N64, where the controller necessitated the controller scheme.

On a Switch Controller? F--.

Return to “Review Feedback”