Odyssey 2 Box Art Special

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
goldenband

Re: Odyssey 2 Box Art Special

Postby goldenband » April 11th, 2020, 3:37 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm open to suggestions about what my next one should be about.

As for War of Nerves, I have a review written but I know a need a second player to do this justice. So I'm keeping the review on hold, on the off-chance I see my friends again in a non-zombie form.

Totally understood about War of Nerves. I hope we all get the chance to spend some (non-virtual) time with our friends someday soon.

As for the next box art special, I'd nominate the Astrocade. Similar schema to the Odyssey², plus I'm personally more interested in older box art anyway, since it tends to be more ambitious and wild (things were less codified in the early days).

Another option would be the Sega Master System, though the poor thing will inevitably get roasted...

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » April 11th, 2020, 3:48 pm

"War of Nerves" box art = tentacle pr0n before it was actually a thing.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 12th, 2020, 3:33 am

Just got around to reading this tonight. Fun and interesting read - I'd definitely be interested in seeing more box art specials like this if you decide to do it in the future. I had never realized how neat the Odyssey 2 boxes are until you pointed it out this way.

You inspired me to look through my Odyssey 2 boxes too. I'm glad you point out the weird "fake screenshots" that these boxes have - I noticed that on several of my games too. I hope that didn't trick people back in the day into believing the game had amazing graphics.

Among my games, there were two that caught my eye that didn't make the list. First was Out of this World, just because it looks cool. And second was Turtles, for a few reasons. It's funny, it's colorful, and it looks good - but it's kiddy art style is also a bit of an outlier compared to the futuristic style of most other Odyssey games.

Image Image

VideoGameCritic wrote:I noticed one of the boxes featured still had a pricetag, which I think it pretty neat.
Maybe I should make a "Price Tag Special" which shows all my boxes that still have price tags. That might be interesting.

I'd be up for that too. I don't know how most people feel about price tags, but I personally find them interesting for the backstory they add to the game. Your price tag on the Alien Invaders game has an interesting history too, which I posted about in the "Box stickers: On or off?" topic that you posted in the Classic Gaming section.

noah98

Postby noah98 » April 12th, 2020, 7:41 am

Great special! The Odyssey 2 is one of my neglected consoles. The box art is certainly unique. I was thinking the other day that when I was a kid, I would look at the box art and imagine what it would be like if the games looked like that. Now in 2020, they kinda do!

Look at Pick Axe Pete on the box, and then in the game!

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » April 13th, 2020, 7:34 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm open to suggestions about what my next one should be about.

The PS1 is probably my favourite for covers - especially the regional differences. Like the PAL versions tend to be far superior to the NSTC versions in my opinion. Driver, Dino Crisis, Silent Hill and Tomb Raider Chronicles are the most glaring examples off the top of my head. Occasionally the reverse is true. Although, I think it tends to be kind of a trend across most older consoles.

But it's cool seeing stuff I've not been really overly exposed - like this collection of Odyssey box art. They all stay central to a similar theme/layout in such an awesomely overtly 80s vaporwave way without being boring (if iconic) like I tend to find NES covers.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 13th, 2020, 4:03 pm

Love it!

Would love to see more! Personal preference would be handheld systems such as the Game Boy, Game Gear, Lynx and such, though this would be fun for any number of different systems and platforms (80s computers would be fun too!).

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 13th, 2020, 4:15 pm

I do have quite a few Lynx boxes so that might be a good candidate. And while I like the idea of displaying boxes I personally own, I don't think there's a probably pulling some scans from the internet as long as I credit the sources.

RDReynolds

Postby RDReynolds » April 14th, 2020, 5:55 pm

I've always loved Odyssey 2...and this article inspired me to add a new product to my Etsy coaster store. Behold the Odyssey 2 coaster collection!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/781858294/ ... ve_1&frs=1

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 17th, 2020, 5:58 pm

I'll be posted another art special tomorrow and I think it's pretty funny.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » April 17th, 2020, 7:01 pm

RDReynolds wrote:I've always loved Odyssey 2...and this article inspired me to add a new product to my Etsy coaster store. Behold the Odyssey 2 coaster collection!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/781858294/ ... ve_1&frs=1

That's pretty cool. Well done.

Return to “Review Feedback”