Batman: A Video Game Retrospective

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Batman: A Video Game Retrospective

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 15th, 2020, 5:49 pm

I've finally revamped and updated this page with my complete collection of Batman reviews. Comments welcome!

https://videogamecritic.com/extras/them ... an.htm?b=3

Retro STrife

Re: Batman: A Video Game Retrospective

Postby Retro STrife » April 16th, 2020, 9:27 am

Surprised so many Batman games exist, and impressive that you reviewed so many. I like reading the Batman Notes input too. Any chance of ranking the best/worst with a top 5 or top 10 at the end?

I'm not much of a fan of superhero games or movies, so I've only played a few on the list. Probably the one I played most was Batman on NES as a kid. Not very Batman-like, but I was a fan of the dark atmosphere.. if only it wasn't so challenging. While not a Batman fan, I'm still interested in playing a few of these based on your reviews:

1. Batman Forever (Genesis) - As one of the more infamous F- games, I want to check it out.
2. Batman Returns (Sega CD) - I have this one already, and looks like one of the better Sega CD games.
3. Batman Returns (SNES) - Looks like a really good brawler.
4. Batman and Robin (Game.com) - I have a big soft spot for the Game.com and this sounds like one of the system's best games.
5. Batman Arkham City - This is probably the one I'd like to try most. When Arkham Asylum first came out, it got such good reviews that it sounded like a must-play even for non-Batman fans. In the years since, it sounds like Arkham City has become the fan favorite as the best in the series.

How do others here feel: is Arkham City the best in the Arkham series? Would it be good for non-Batman fans or is the gaming time better spent elsewhere?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 16th, 2020, 9:53 am

Typo note: In the Batman Notes section of Arkham Asylum, Mark Hamill is referred to as "Hark Hamill".

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 16th, 2020, 11:10 am

Thanks for the typo alert! I love the wide selection of Batman games, but I'm sad there were none for the classic systems like the Atari 2600 or Intellivision or Colecovision. That would have been fascinating.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » April 16th, 2020, 12:37 pm

Nice round-up. Looking forward to checking out the SNES Batman Returns and Genesis Batman games. I still think the NES Batman deserves more love but I appreciate that you went back to it a few years ago and gave it another go.

Retro STrife wrote:5. Batman Arkham City - This is probably the one I'd like to try most. When Arkham Asylum first came out, it got such good reviews that it sounded like a must-play even for non-Batman fans. In the years since, it sounds like Arkham City has become the fan favorite as the best in the series.

How do others here feel: is Arkham City the best in the Arkham series? Would it be good for non-Batman fans or is the gaming time better spent elsewhere?

Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are both very good games. Which is better depends on what you prefer - a more paced, directed experience that starts small and with few resources but gradually expands (Asylum) or a more open world that gives you more toys to start with and lets you muck around (City)? As a Metriodvania guy I prefer Asylum but I could absolutely understand someone else picking City.

That's the simplified version - maybe when I get home (my job hasn't changed despite the virus) I'll elaborate a bit more.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » April 17th, 2020, 2:20 am

Here's a Batman Atari 2600 Hacked Game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e65_27OO2aQ

Furthermore, since you also review Atari 8-bit games, maybe you could check out this one (looks pretty bad):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQtSRjCeXtA

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 23rd, 2020, 4:14 pm

velcrozombie wrote:Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are both very good games. Which is better depends on what you prefer - a more paced, directed experience that starts small and with few resources but gradually expands (Asylum) or a more open world that gives you more toys to start with and lets you muck around (City)? As a Metriodvania guy I prefer Asylum but I could absolutely understand someone else picking City.

That's the simplified version - maybe when I get home (my job hasn't changed despite the virus) I'll elaborate a bit more.

I just bought Batman: Return to Arkham on PS4, which includes both Asylum and City. I'm torn on which to play- Asylum sounds good because I'm a Metroidvania guy too, but City is almost always chosen as the objective best in the series. I'll go with my gut when it comes time to play it. I snagged it because the price was right, but I'm sure it'll be awhile before I get to try it out.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » April 24th, 2020, 7:01 pm

Somehow this page completely slipped by me until now! As a Batman fan it's nice to see a handy guide to the games, I often get so many of the retro ones confused with one another when trying to figure out which ones are the actual good/decent ones.

Retro STrife wrote:I just bought Batman: Return to Arkham on PS4, which includes both Asylum and City. I'm torn on which to play- Asylum sounds good because I'm a Metroidvania guy too, but City is almost always chosen as the objective best in the series. I'll go with my gut when it comes time to play it. I snagged it because the price was right, but I'm sure it'll be awhile before I get to try it out.

When Asylum came out I remember myself and bunch of friends feeling like we had the ultimate Batman game where you actually genuinely felt like Batman - finally. But we all kinda left it with the feeling that a few things still needed tweaking - after all it was the first game in what we assumed would be a new series. It made such a great impact and did so many things right that it overshadowed the... less good aspects, let's say. But it was still obvious a few things needed to be improved, even though they weren't necessarily game breakers.

It was mostly stuff like the game often feeling quite confined and linear like a platformer, and some of the set-pieces and bosses tending to be repetitive. But they were still very good. Personally I welcomed them prioritising getting the mechanics right in the first game and setting a decent foundation for a new series of games.

All of this was addressed for City, and everything was built and improved upon. Admittedly, it’s a total unfair discredit to the first game to say this, but in someways City makes Asylum seem like a tester or a pilot. As good as it was, I came away from it wanting more - opposed to reflecting on what a great experience it was. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but I personally couldn't imagine playing them for the first time in reverse order - it would have lessened the impact both games had on me.

Although...

velcrozombie wrote: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are both very good games. Which is better depends on what you prefer - a more paced, directed experience that starts small and with few resources but gradually expands (Asylum) or a more open world that gives you more toys to start with and lets you muck around (City)? As a Metriodvania guy I prefer Asylum but I could absolutely understand someone else picking City.

... I’ve never considered this point of view. If the sequel had been similar style with the aforementioned aspects tweaked it still would have been a great game. I just wanted the complete immersive Batman experience at the time - which gliding over Gotham did for me.

Return to “Review Feedback”