2020/5/22: Playstation 3: Drakengard 3

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/5/22: Playstation 3: Drakengard 3

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 22nd, 2020, 11:06 am

Whoops - another long review. Sorry.
Comments welcome!

BlasteroidAli

Re: 2020/5/22: Playstation 3: Drakengard 3

Postby BlasteroidAli » May 22nd, 2020, 4:52 pm

I have a ps3. I had never even heard of this game. By in large I love Square enix games but your review has put me right off this one. Thanks as always.

DotNetWolf

Postby DotNetWolf » May 23rd, 2020, 2:40 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Whoops - another long review. Sorry.
Comments welcome!

I can't remember the last time you went off on a game in one of your reviews. Needless to say, I've never heard of these games, let alone impressed to find out there's three of them! Just the idea of a little adolescent girl running around with very few clothes on; slicing up hoards of big, scary armoured enemies was enough to give me a good laugh. I love when Japanese games have nonsensical crap like this. Calling back to you mentioning Bayonetta, at least that game knew to not take itself seriously and have fun at the expense of the player. Great review!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 23rd, 2020, 11:39 am

DoNetWolf -
Thanks for the feedback! I can tell we're both on the same page!
Glad to see I'm connecting with some readers.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » May 24th, 2020, 1:14 am

DotNetWolf wrote:
Comments welcome!

I can't remember the last time you went off on a game in one of your reviews. Needless to say, I've never heard of these games, let alone impressed to find out there's three of them! Just the idea of a little adolescent girl running around with very few clothes on; slicing up hoards of big, scary armoured enemies was enough to give me a good laugh. I love when Japanese games have nonsensical crap like this. Calling back to you mentioning Bayonetta, at least that game knew to not take itself seriously and have fun at the expense of the player. Great review!

The Nier games are spin-offs of the Drakengard series - while the first game was more of a cult hit, the second game (Nier Automata) has sold over 4.5 million copies at this point. Speaking of Bayonetta, Nier Automata was co-developed by the same studio (Platinum Games) - Platinum handled the combat while Square Enix handled the rest. Both of the Nier games received better reviews compared to this one (Nier Automata was on some game-of-the-year lists).

I'm not sure how seriously this game actually takes itself - I watched a "quick-look" video of it and one of the first things that happens is the main character screams at the baby dragon so loudly that it pees itself in fear. Below is a screenshot that the game cuts away to as someone is being brutally murdered:

d3 screenshot web.jpg
d3 screenshot web.jpg (49.7 KiB) Viewed 383 times

As for having a young animu girl slicing up armored knights and giant bosses...it's magic. There's a scene at the end of the quick-look I watched where
SPOILERS

the main character is dying after having an arm bitten off and she regenerates herself by having a new, full-size clone emerge naked and bloody from the flower in her eye socket (minus the arm, apparently since it was destroyed by a magical being)

END OF SPOILERS.
Once you have a character do something like that, you know you're no longer dealing with someone on a human level of power.

I have no idea if the game is worth playing (what I've seen of the combat was pretty dull and the aerial sequences looked awkward) but part of me wants to give it a go with the hope of there being an interesting story with more outrageous moments like this. I've also heard that Japanese voices with subtitles is the way to go but you actually have to buy it as DLC.

DotNetWolf

Postby DotNetWolf » May 27th, 2020, 12:10 am

velcrozombie wrote:
DotNetWolf wrote:
Comments welcome!

The Nier games are spin-offs of the Drakengard series - while the first game was more of a cult hit, the second game (Nier Automata) has sold over 4.5 million copies at this point. Speaking of Bayonetta, Nier Automata was co-developed by the same studio (Platinum Games) - Platinum handled the combat while Square Enix handled the rest. Both of the Nier games received better reviews compared to this one (Nier Automata was on some game-of-the-year lists).

I'm not sure how seriously this game actually takes itself - I watched a "quick-look" video of it and one of the first things that happens is the main character screams at the baby dragon so loudly that it pees itself in fear. Below is a screenshot that the game cuts away to as someone is being brutally murdered:

d3 screenshot web.jpg

As for having a young animu girl slicing up armored knights and giant bosses...it's magic. There's a scene at the end of the quick-look I watched where
SPOILERS

the main character is dying after having an arm bitten off and she regenerates herself by having a new, full-size clone emerge naked and bloody from the flower in her eye socket (minus the arm, apparently since it was destroyed by a magical being)

END OF SPOILERS.
Once you have a character do something like that, you know you're no longer dealing with someone on a human level of power.

I have no idea if the game is worth playing (what I've seen of the combat was pretty dull and the aerial sequences looked awkward) but part of me wants to give it a go with the hope of there being an interesting story with more outrageous moments like this. I've also heard that Japanese voices with subtitles is the way to go but you actually have to buy it as DLC.

Wow! I had no idea this series was connected to Nier! I heard friends of mine talk about Nier: Automata before. It sounds like there's some interesting lore tied to the franchise. No matter how you try to spin it, on the outside, she's still a little girl beating up hoards of enemies with magic; that is still funny to me.

Return to “Review Feedback”