2020/5/29: Genesis: Thunder Force II, Lightening Force, Lethal Enforcers II: Gun Fighters

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/5/29: Genesis: Thunder Force II, Lightening Force, Lethal Enforcers II: Gun Fighters

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 29th, 2020, 10:54 am

All three of these are re-reviews, but I think you'll find they are much better fleshed out.
Thunder Force II C- to B-
Lightening Force B to C
Lethal Enforcers II C+ to C.

Thoughts?

ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: 2020/5/29: Genesis: Thunder Force II, Lightening Force, Lethal Enforcers II: Gun Fighters

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 29th, 2020, 12:53 pm

Lightening Force is a C?

It's your grading system, but to me the weapon system is a well balanced power fantasy, and the graphics look like a Peter Elison painting come to life. Any slowdown in Lightening Force is just bullet time before the Matrix, and the occasional pause for breath helps keep the action from getting numbing.

It's not a game most people will immediately forget after playing, which isn't something I can always say about your other C grade shmups. Still...agreed that it lacks the charm of the third one.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: 2020/5/29: Genesis: Thunder Force II, Lightening Force, Lethal Enforcers II: Gun Fighters

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 29th, 2020, 1:29 pm

I'm also re-reviewed Thunder Force V by the way, which has not aged well.

The revelation is Thunder Force II. I always used to hate the first stage, but now that I know how to whiz through it, it's given me renewed appreciation for the rest of the game, which is pretty darned good.

sixam

Postby sixam » May 29th, 2020, 5:13 pm

Thunder Force II was originally released in Japan in 1988 for the Sharp X68000 computer. The X68000 version has clearer voice samples, including extra voice effects such as the "Shit!" exclamation heard after player's last life is lost (yes, this game swears when you get a game over, so you don't have to curse when you get one). Now you know why Sega garbled the voice samples in the Genesis version.

https://thunderforce.fandom.com/wiki/Thunder_Force_II

Also, I think you meant to call the voice sample unintlligible instead of intelligible.

crimefighter

Postby crimefighter » May 29th, 2020, 7:06 pm

Lightening Force readers peg it A+...

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » May 30th, 2020, 10:59 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:The revelation is Thunder Force II. I always used to hate the first stage, but now that I know how to whiz through it, it's given me renewed appreciation for the rest of the game, which is pretty darned good.

I still hate the first stage. In fact, I hate all those top-view stages. I never know where to go, so they take forever.

Return to “Review Feedback”