2020/6/2: Playstation 3: Dragon's Lair, Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp, Space Ace

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/6/2: Playstation 3: Dragon's Lair, Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp, Space Ace

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 2nd, 2020, 10:00 am

Two of these are updates, and DL2 is new. I'm kind of posting these as a public service, as the discs no longer work properly and I don't know why.

Voor

Re: 2020/6/2: Playstation 3: Dragon's Lair, Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp, Space Ace

Postby Voor » June 2nd, 2020, 4:32 pm

Since you had 3 separate games with similar issues, I wonder if it’s your PS3 with the issue (which wouldn’t be surprising).

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: 2020/6/2: Playstation 3: Dragon's Lair, Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp, Space Ace

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 2nd, 2020, 4:52 pm

Well I performed the latest system update, so I doubt that. This is the second iteration of the PS3 (not the baby piano version) so that might have made a difference. I think I originally played them on the big one. Even so, people need to think twice about spending a lot of dough for these.

And as I said, I never did get them to work correctly on a normal Blu Ray player.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 2nd, 2020, 6:20 pm

Assuming there's not a hardware issue (all my other PS3 games work) this may be a case of system updating being harmful! I wouldn't be surprised if one of those updates broke Dragon's Lair at some point. This is the problem with systems that update. You don't really know what's happening behind the scenes.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » June 2nd, 2020, 10:20 pm

Dumb question time.

Do your Blu-ray movies play fine on your PS3? If not then it may be the laser going bad.

I used to do tech support for Creative Labs. DVD drives had different lasers for cd and dvds. I have no idea how blu-rays works but it used to be the DVD would stop working while the CDs would still read fine. It's possible the blu-rays are somewhat similar in nature.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 2nd, 2020, 11:01 pm

Good question. Yes, my Blu Rays play fine on my PS3.
It is, and has been, my main Blu Ray player for the last ten years.
Just about to watch Indiana Jones Last Crusade actually.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » June 3rd, 2020, 3:36 am

Dear Critic,
Follow the link. I looked on Amazon for you and it seems that it is a known issue that it does not work well on ps3.

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B000IMUYRE/ref=acr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar Look at the one start reviews.

The games themselves could only loosely be termed a video game. They are like these video game walking simulators. The Park or Whatever happened to Edith Finch. Graphic novels under the guise of a video game. Once you beat them you cannot play them again. DL falls into that catagory.

noah98

Postby noah98 » June 3rd, 2020, 3:40 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Two of these are updates, and DL2 is new. I'm kind of posting these as a public service, as the discs no longer work properly and I don't know why.

Mine no longer work properly either on my PS3, and they used to work fine. I think one of the system updates killed them and Sony has no incentive to fix the issue. I'm using the latest model of the PS3, the "superslim," but I don't think it matters.

It sucks because I have my PS3 hooked up to an arcade machine and it was nice having Dragon's Lair and Space Ace with good quality to play around with. The games aren't great, but I do have some nostalgia for them.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 3rd, 2020, 3:44 pm

noah - thanks for corroborating my system update theory. Like you said, Sony has no interest in supporting old games because they just want you to buy new ones. Hell, if they could get away with it they'd probably break all the old games.

This is why I "just say no" to system updates (one of several reasons).

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » June 4th, 2020, 9:32 am

Good reviews and you hit the nail on the head as to why Dragon’s Lair is so much better than Space Ace and Dragon’s Lair 2: the number of moves per screen. With Dragon’s Lair, it’s like 4-7 moves per screen, Space Ace has like 20+ moves, and not only does DL2 have dozens of moves per screen, watching a YouTube vid of Dragon’s Lair 2 is borderline nauseating and as VGC stated, makes no sense.

When Dragon’s Lair came to the arcade, it was special. Everyone crowded around to watch. I hadn’t played it for 30 years but when I had the chance to play it again at the arcade in Hopewell PA (named Pinball PA) the muscle memory was in full force and I was able to get through a good part of the game.

Return to “Review Feedback”