2020/6/4: NES: Double Dragon, Double Dragon II: The Revenge, Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/6/4: NES: Double Dragon, Double Dragon II: The Revenge, Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 4th, 2020, 3:31 pm

Here are the new Double Dragon reviews as promised! The first two are updates, but the third is new.
Comments encouraged!

DotNetWolf

Re: 2020/6/4: NES: Double Dragon, Double Dragon II: The Revenge, Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones

Postby DotNetWolf » June 4th, 2020, 3:55 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Here are the new Double Dragon reviews as promised! The first two are updates, but the third is new.
Comments encouraged!

Good updates on the reviews! You failed to mention that Billy legally changed his name to "Bimmy" in the third game via cutscenes.

goldenband

Re: 2020/6/4: NES: Double Dragon, Double Dragon II: The Revenge, Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones

Postby goldenband » June 4th, 2020, 6:24 pm

Always glad to see praise for the first Double Dragon, which I think is a really fun game.

But I have no idea why people think Double Dragon III is a hard game! I can breeze through almost the entire thing with little trouble, and the only part that's genuinely tough is the final boss fight. Frankly, if it weren't for that fight with Noiram, I'd say it's easier than Double Dragon II.

Yes, there are a couple tricky jumps near the end, and yes, some of the special moves become mysteriously unresponsive later in the game. But otherwise it's a typical beat-'em-up where, if you know how to manipulate the enemies' movements and which moves to spam, it's not hard at all -- and you have three life bars to work with, plus all those weapons!

(And aren't all beat-'em-ups about repetitively spamming the same moves anyway? If you try to fight fair in a game like Final Fight or Double Dragon, you'll just get destroyed trading punches.)

noah98

Postby noah98 » June 5th, 2020, 3:28 pm

I love the nes version of Double Dragon II. Such a great game! I even prefer the nes version of the first game, in spite of the lack of two player action. When I was younger, I was a Master System kid and proclaimed victory with Double Dragon on the SMS vs. the nes; older, objective me sees I was wrong!

For Double Dragon III, I bought the Famicom version because it's a little better. The Japanese version gives the characters a few more health points and reduces the amount of adversaries, making it a little easier to progress.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » June 10th, 2020, 2:32 pm

DotNetWolf wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:Here are the new Double Dragon reviews as promised! The first two are updates, but the third is new.
Comments encouraged!

Good updates on the reviews! You failed to mention that Billy legally changed his name to "Bimmy" in the third game via cutscenes.

Still can't believe that one got past the fine folks at Nintendo before they gave the green light to release the game. One of the most unintentionally funny moments in video game history for sure. No doubt about it.

Funny thing, though, is that I never noticed that slip up until after I watched AVGN's review of DD3 so many years ago....

Return to “Review Feedback”