2020/6/10: Nintendo Switch: Raging Justice, Windjammers

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/6/10: Nintendo Switch: Raging Justice, Windjammers

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 10th, 2020, 6:00 am

Let's hear your thoughts on these two new Switch reviews. Raging Justice is new, but Windjammer is an update (B- to C+).

ASalvaro

Re: 2020/6/10: Nintendo Switch: Raging Justice, Windjammers

Postby ASalvaro » June 10th, 2020, 1:06 pm

sigh..these side scrolling beat em ups are starting to resemble today's society

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » June 10th, 2020, 2:24 pm

I have Windjammers on Neo Geo and on PS4 (which is identical to the Switch version), and I agree with your take. I agree with you that it's a pretty pitiful barebones port for a game this old. You don't mention the online matches - which is the best new feature of the Switch port - but to be honest, it's extremely hard to find an opponent still playing the game online and the matches are really basic (no rankings, no tournaments, etc.).

The only thing I disagree with in your review is saying that Windjammers was an underrated Neo Geo game. I've always felt it was overrated. It is under-the-radar to an extent, but the people that know about it seem to always rave about it. But I've never really gotten friends and family interested in it when they come over, as they gravitate toward the fighters and Metal Slug, etc. It's never held my attention for too long either.

But for Neo Geo owners who like Windjammers, I also recommend checking out Flip Shot and Bang Bead on the system. They are both similar games, and often compared against Windjammers, with opinions varying widely on which is best. I've played the three and might even put Bang Bead ahead of Windjammers. Fortunately, Flip Shot and Bang Bead are on multicarts.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » June 10th, 2020, 2:25 pm

This is Bang Bead:

jon

Postby jon » June 10th, 2020, 3:14 pm

Bang Bead is good. I need to figure out how to master the controls though. It's one of the off the wall games like Magical Drop 3 that I play sometimes.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » June 10th, 2020, 3:41 pm

I bought Raging Justice for less than $4 after seeing your initial positive impression. I've only played it once, since I was playing it to kill time while I was waiting for the download of Streets of Rage 4 to finish up. There's something about the ugliness and trashiness of the game that is charming and I got a kick out of knocking over crowds of street punks with the tractor. SoR4 has almost completely dominated my single-player time since it came out and I've never gone back to it - maybe it's only fun for a couple of go-arounds?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 10th, 2020, 7:14 pm

Retro STrife wrote:But for Neo Geo owners who like Windjammers, I also recommend checking out Flip Shot and Bang Bead on the system. They are both similar games, and often compared against Windjammers, with opinions varying widely on which is best. I've played the three and might even put Bang Bead ahead of Windjammers. Fortunately, Flip Shot and Bang Bead are on multicarts.

I had never heard of these but I have a multicart and will check them out! Thanks.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » June 11th, 2020, 7:11 am

I think a C+ for Windjammers is being generous. I bought the game just looking for some fun arcade action and perhaps a few modes to boot. What a waste of dough. I found Windjammers to be boring and repetitive. I would put it in the D+ category. One of my many regrettable purchases I have made on my Switch.

GeoX

Postby GeoX » June 12th, 2020, 7:19 am

Windjammers seems an awful lot like Tron...

Return to “Review Feedback”