2020/6/12: Game Boy: Baseball, Tennis, Malibu Beach Volleyball

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/6/12: Game Boy: Baseball, Tennis, Malibu Beach Volleyball

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 12th, 2020, 10:47 am

Check out my latest Game Boy reviews. Three sports titles! One definitely stands out.

Anchoa79

Re: 2020/6/12: Game Boy: Baseball, Tennis, Malibu Beach Volleyball

Postby Anchoa79 » June 12th, 2020, 12:11 pm

Tennis is awesome, but is for 1 or 2 players. I also like Baseball, it is a pity the low score.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » June 12th, 2020, 2:05 pm

Never tried Tennis, but that opening line makes me take note. Are you personally ranking it ahead of Virtua Tennis on Dreamcast?

jon

Postby jon » June 12th, 2020, 2:34 pm

Trying to find the right Game Boy games to play is overwhelming. There were so many games released, even in the 1989-1990 period which interests me the most. I see these lists of best games but every list is the same games and I really think there might be some hidden gems in there.
I love SML 1 and 2 is great as well although I think I like 1 better. I tried out the first Wario game and really couldn’t get into it. The controls were weird. Perhaps I’ll try it again given that it has a good reputation.
As far as Baseball games, I remember watching my friend play a Baseball game on Gameboy in like 1990. It looked really cool. It might not have been this Baseball game. Perhaps another one might be good. To me this Tennis game is great. It’s hard to hit winners.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 12th, 2020, 3:35 pm

Anchoa - I changed it to 1 or 2 players. Thanks!

Retro - better than Virtua Tennis? Let's not get crazy. I modified the first line to tone it down a bit.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » June 12th, 2020, 3:43 pm

I played Baseball and Tennis so much as a kid. They were both probably my first virtual experiences of the sports. The sound effects on both are pure nostalgia, especially that agonisingly slow 'bleeeeuuuuuuuhhhhhhh' when you hit a fly ball to deep centre field and have to wait 10 unbearable seconds to witness the inevitable out. Not sure it's good nostalgia, mind you. :)

Quite surprised they both are literally complete opposite ends of the scale, but it has been a while since I played them. Between this and the recent thread about Tennis, it's made me really wanna go hunting for my Game Boy and check it out again.

GTS

Postby GTS » June 12th, 2020, 9:12 pm

Thanks for posting Game Boy reviews. I would love to see you do a lot more of them. I also appreciate that these reviews were short. After all, they are just Game Boy games, so you can only go so deep in the analysis.

Are you playing them on a TV, GBA, or perhaps the original Game Boy?

Also, has there been a tennis special? I don't play tennis games, but if everything was grouped on one page, I'd ready it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 13th, 2020, 11:23 am

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I initially reviewed these on my Retro 5. It's a lot easier to see these games on the big screen, although the system somehow adds color. So then I played them on my Game Boy Advance SP (I don't have the original Game Boy, sadly) but that added color too.

I would have liked to have reviewed them in their original form, but probably would not have affected the grades.

A tennis special? Not a bad idea! Especially for the summer.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » June 13th, 2020, 9:20 pm

Never played the Tennis or Volleyball games for the Game Boy. But I do remember playing Baseball quite a bit back in the day on my buddy Brad;s Game Boy when I'd go over to his house for a visit. And to tell you the truth, it's really not all that bad. Yes, it's definitely no lost classic and has it's share of flaws. But it is certainly playable and worth a couple playthroughs. Which is something that can't be said for some of the other baseball games that were released on the NES around the same time frame...

jon

Postby jon » June 14th, 2020, 9:44 pm

I've been so crazy with my attention span that I haven't played baseball games in forever. The only sports game I've really put a lot of time into has been Tennis. I have stopped playing the game a lot because the computer drives me crazy. He will win rallies against me even though I've been playing forever, and know all the movements and where his shots are probably going. I'm not the best gamer, but when I put time into a game I get pretty good. When I put aside all the mad I get, I have to respect the computer. It seems like just about every other sports game I've put this much time into I win so much that I never get mad. I haven't played Virtua Tennis in about 16 years or so. But if it's possible to easily win without really losing points then that's an edge to Tennis in that department.
I'm going to play the other couple of Gameboy baseball games. I briefly played Baseball on Gameboy and didn't like it but I'll try again.

Return to “Review Feedback”