Sonic the Hedgehog Blu Ray Review

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Sonic the Hedgehog Blu Ray Review

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 21st, 2020, 9:18 am

This is spoiler-free I think!
https://videogamecritic.com/extras/movies/sonic.htm

Thoughts?

Retro STrife

Re: Sonic the Hedgehog Blu Ray Review

Postby Retro STrife » June 21st, 2020, 3:52 pm

Thanks for doing a review of this. I'm going to have to make an effort to watch it soon. Before the movie came out, I'd tell you there was almost no chance I'd see it. I tend not to watch video game related movies like this, and this one didn't sound good enough to change that. But I've heard nothing but good things since it came out. My nephews who saw it liked it, but it seems like adults are enjoying it even more than their kids or grandkids that they watch it with. Even older adults who haven't ever played a video game in their life. And I know you're tough on game-related movies too, so the positive review stands out.

And it sounds like Jim Carrey was cast perfectly for the role. While his name-recognition added credibility, I wasn't optimistic about that choice when it was announced. My first concern was that he doesn't look the part (I picture Dr. Robotnik as a bumbling fat guy). My second concern was that IMO his brand of humor just doesn't work as well now that he's older. Coincidentally, I've watched two of his movies in the past month that I hadn't seen before -- The Cable Guy (1996) and Dumb & Dumber To (2014) -- and his comedy was so natural in the former and so forced in the latter. But it sounds like his Dr. Robotnik is a return to form.

And thankfully they fixed that terrible Sonic character model, or else that would still be the focus of discussion instead of the quality of the movie.

astrodomekid

Re: Sonic the Hedgehog Blu Ray Review

Postby astrodomekid » June 22nd, 2020, 11:45 pm

Good to see a review of the film on this website, especially a positive one. Seems like only yesterday when the first trailer dropped last year. And if you saw it during opening previews at the local theatre, this was probably your reaction.

Thank goodness the final product was so much better than we originally anticipated!

Return to “Review Feedback”