2020/6/25: Atari 5200: Xari Arena

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/6/25: Atari 5200: Xari Arena

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 25th, 2020, 8:34 am

Not many Atari 5200 games left to review after this. What am I missing?

Cafeman

Re: 2020/6/25: Atari 5200: Xari Arena

Postby Cafeman » June 25th, 2020, 11:50 am

Although I appreciate the programming of this game, I never found it that much fun.

There are always various A8 ports and the newer homebrews you could review.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » June 25th, 2020, 12:46 pm

Awesome, a new Atari 5200 review! I'm totally unfamiliar with this game but I laughed at the line about scoring tons of points while having no idea what's going on. I feel as though that's happened to me in a few games, though I'm trying to think of an example...maybe a Game Boy action-puzzler of some sort? Can't quite come up with it.

VideoGameCritic wrote:Not many Atari 5200 games left to review after this. What am I missing?

You wound me, sir, you wound me! I have a list all set for you:

Atari 5200 (4 games left)

Bounty Bob Strikes Back
K-Razy Shoot-Out
Montezuma's Revenge
Star Trek

That said my list was missing Xari Arena for some reason -- no idea why?

Anyway, the four games left shouldn't be too much of a problem, since K-Razy Shoot-Out is a Berzerk clone, and I think you have a multicart for BBSB. I'm still trying to figure out whether I played BBSB as a kid -- I think we borrowed it from a family friend without realizing how special/rare it was, but I'm not 100% sure.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » June 25th, 2020, 8:53 pm

Oh, I know why I didn't have Xari Arena on my list -- it's an unreleased prototype!

Other playable protos you might look at:

A.E.
Asteroids
Blaster
Final Legacy
Last Starfighter
Microgammon SB
Miniature Golf
Muppet-Go-Round
RealSports Basketball
Roadrunner
Spitfire
Sport Goofy
Stargate
Track and Field

Of these games, the one I definitely recommend you prioritize is Blaster. I don't remember what I thought of the gameplay, but it's a first-person scaling 3D shooter, and a technical tour de force unlike anything on any console for years afterward. Real shame it wasn't released.

Also, several of these were released on the Atari 8-bit computer in more or less the same form, like Asteroids, Final Legacy, Last Starfighter (as Star Raiders II), and Track and Field. At least one site says Track and Field is better on the 5200; it also says that Last Starfighter benefits a lot from the licensed coat of paint vs. the more generic Star Raiders franchise.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » June 25th, 2020, 10:22 pm

goldenband wrote:Oh, I know why I didn't have Xari Arena on my list -- it's an unreleased prototype!

[list of games]

Here come some more D- and F's!

crimefighter

Postby crimefighter » June 25th, 2020, 10:39 pm

Blaster is one of the very rare developed for a home console first before an arcade version was released. The "sequel" to Robotron 2084 at least storywise...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 26th, 2020, 5:30 pm

goldenband wrote:Oh, I know why I didn't have Xari Arena on my list -- it's an unreleased prototype!

A.E.
Asteroids
Blaster
Final Legacy
Last Starfighter
Microgammon SB
Miniature Golf
Muppet-Go-Round
RealSports Basketball
Roadrunner
Spitfire
Sport Goofy
Stargate
Track and Field

Thanks for this list! Most of these are on my multicart, so that makes it easy. Blaster is not, but it appears to be available from Atari Age. Not sure if Asteroids and Final Legacy are worth reviewing for the system, since it's the same as the Atari 8-bit computer versions, which I already reviewed.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » June 27th, 2020, 12:50 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Thanks for this list! Most of these are on my multicart, so that makes it easy. Blaster is not, but it appears to be available from Atari Age. Not sure if Asteroids and Final Legacy are worth reviewing for the system, since it's the same as the Atari 8-bit computer versions, which I already reviewed.

Nice. I assume Bounty Bob Strikes Back, K-Razy Shoot-out, Montezuma's Revenge and Star Trek are all on there as well? Beats the heck out of paying for a copy of Bounty Bob. If I ever get a 5200 again, I'll have to pick up some sort of multicart or flash cart.

And yeah, if you fire up Asteroids and Final Legacy and find they're basically the same, I can easily imagine skipping them or putting in a link to the existing 8-bit review. I think Final Legacy may have some cosmetic differences in the interface, but is supposedly otherwise the same.

Glad AtariAge is making Blaster available. It really was kind of jawdropping when I first played it -- definitely a "shock and awe" factor to the game.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 27th, 2020, 7:29 am

I remember being in awe when Bounty Bob for the Atari 5200 was over $100. That was probably around 2000. Now you really can't even get it, and it's not on my multicart either.

I'm curious as to whether the Atari 8-bit computer version is the same game, considering games were often ported between the two systems. If so, the computer version would have the better controls.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » June 28th, 2020, 12:33 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I remember being in awe when Bounty Bob for the Atari 5200 was over $100. That was probably around 2000. Now you really can't even get it, and it's not on my multicart either.

I'm curious as to whether the Atari 8-bit computer version is the same game, considering games were often ported between the two systems. If so, the computer version would have the better controls.

Oh man, that's painful that BBSB isn't on the multicart! As for the differences between the 8-bit and 5200 versions, this thread discusses that:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/95265 ... ifference/

The bottom line seems to be that, though the games are mostly identical, there are a couple subtle differences involving the size of certain platforms and a splash screen.

Return to “Review Feedback”