2020/6/27: Super Nintendo: Roger Clemens' MVP Baseball, Fighting Baseball (Japan)

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/6/27: Super Nintendo: Roger Clemens' MVP Baseball, Fighting Baseball (Japan)

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 27th, 2020, 10:15 am

Baseball is back! Let me know what you think about these two new SNES reviews.

Retro STrife

Re: 2020/6/27: Super Nintendo: Roger Clemens' MVP Baseball, Fighting Baseball (Japan)

Postby Retro STrife » June 27th, 2020, 10:20 pm

I never knew that LJN released their Roger Clemens game on the SNES. A close friend of mine had it on the NES when we were kids, and I remember having a good time playing it together over his house. I think it was panned by critics, but if you liked the SNES version then you might like the NES version too. I still remember this tactic where you seemed to be unstoppable while pitching if you slid your pitcher over to a certain side of the mound before the pitch.. I wonder if that worked in the SNES version too.

As for Fighting Baseball, what a disappointment.. I was ready to read all about this import Road Rash-meets-Baseball hybrid, only to learn that it has one of the most misleading game names ever. At least the weird player names help make up for it.

On a positive note, I have to give you credit for making these reviews interesting to read. To me, most old school baseball games are pretty similar overall, so it's a feat to make them sound so unique.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: 2020/6/27: Super Nintendo: Roger Clemens' MVP Baseball, Fighting Baseball (Japan)

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 28th, 2020, 12:17 pm

I'm not surprised it got bad reviews. This is the kind of game critics will write off right off the bat.
Fake players... fake teams... annoying music.
The thing is, the more you play, the more you like it. Plus it's really unlike any other baseball game I can recall offhand.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » June 28th, 2020, 12:38 pm

I've been wondering if/when we'd see a review of that Super Famicom baseball game with the amazing player names!

You have comparisons to two other games at the start of the review, but do you suppose it's worth mentioning that Fighting Baseball was localized in the US under the name MLBPA Baseball?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 28th, 2020, 1:11 pm

goldenband wrote:
You have comparisons to two other games at the start of the review, but do you suppose it's worth mentioning that Fighting Baseball was localized in the US under the name MLBPA Baseball?

Is that right? I had no idea! I wonder if it's any better?

GeoX

Postby GeoX » June 30th, 2020, 8:42 am

I wish the Japanese developers would invest a little time learning American history. Why would a team from New York have a confederate flag?!?

Did love the name “Bobson Dugnutt”!
Those names remind of the great “Biggus Dickus” scene in Monty Pythons’ “Life of Brian”!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HrcbCW4y9Dw

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 30th, 2020, 10:35 am

Actually that was Roger Clemens' MVP Baseball with the Confederate flag! Maybe he did it on purpose to piss off the Yankees.

Return to “Review Feedback”