Evercade Premium Pack review

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
envytomdead

Re: Evercade Premium Pack review

Postby envytomdead » July 2nd, 2020, 6:40 pm

Thanks for the honest review of this. I was on the fence about this but your review and the my life in gaming review made me decide to skip this unless a very compelling collection comes along. The issues with the 2600 difficulty switches was the final straw! I'll stick with my atgames atari portable!

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 2nd, 2020, 6:52 pm

envytomdead wrote:Thanks for the honest review of this. I was on the fence about this but your review and the my life in gaming review made me decide to skip this unless a very compelling collection comes along. The issues with the 2600 difficulty switches was the final straw! I'll stick with my atgames atari portable!

One major aspect of the Evercade I like is the variety of systems that are covered by the various carts. I am very exited for the upcoming Lynx carts, and as I've said the Piko cart is one of the best carts for the system

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 2nd, 2020, 9:16 pm

I inquired at AtariAge about the difficulty switches for 2600 games. There does seem to be limited control of them.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/30216 ... nt=4577221

Wehrwolf

Postby Wehrwolf » July 3rd, 2020, 1:18 am

Thanks, what they said at that site seems correct.

Left trigger sets left difficulty switch to A, right trigger does the same for the right switch.

Now the only problem is I don’t see any way of changing them back (short of restarting the game)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 3rd, 2020, 6:40 pm

Well, I was able to verify this. I loaded up Asteroids on Atari Collection 1. I didn't know when I was supposed to press the left trigger so I pressed it several times before and during the load process. Sure enough, at the end of the first wave a UFO flew onto the screen.

To be honest I'm not sure if this is much of an improvement. You really don't know the setting of your difficulty switches at any given time. I wouldn't be surprised if this works by accident, not having really been designed like that. I don't think this hidden feature justified updating my review.

If they did design it this way, it just pisses me off more!

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 3rd, 2020, 7:55 pm

It most likely is due ro the emulation and was not documented properly.

I did go back and see the manual does reference the select button does make some changes.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » July 4th, 2020, 7:32 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Well, I was able to verify this. I loaded up Asteroids on Atari Collection 1. I didn't know when I was supposed to press the left trigger so I pressed it several times before and during the load process. Sure enough, at the end of the first wave a UFO flew onto the screen.

To be honest I'm not sure if this is much of an improvement. You really don't know the setting of your difficulty switches at any given time. I wouldn't be surprised if this works by accident, not having really been designed like that. I don't think this hidden feature justified updating my review.

If they did design it this way, it just pisses me off more!

Though Critic honestly the 4 carts to pick up would be Data East, Namco 2, Mega cat and Piko.

The thing that first had me looking at this was the chance to play the 7800 games. The 2600 games all have emulation via various other compilations and some of the at games consoles.

Up and coming Xeno crisis, Oliver twins, 2 lynx carts

noah98

Postby noah98 » November 20th, 2020, 2:51 pm

Anyone get the Lynx carts yet? I'm considering the Evercade for the two Atari Lynx collections, but I'm not sure how well the games hold up. My brother had an Atari Lynx when I was in college, so I have some nostalgia for it.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 20th, 2020, 3:31 pm

noah98 wrote:Anyone get the Lynx carts yet? I'm considering the Evercade for the two Atari Lynx collections, but I'm not sure how well the games hold up. My brother had an Atari Lynx when I was in college, so I have some nostalgia for it.

The Lynx carts were delayed, estimated to ship at the end of this month.

noah98

Postby noah98 » November 22nd, 2020, 7:11 am

The only games I'm interested in for the Evercade are games that were originally on handheld and indie games. The two Atari Lynx collections are tempting me to buy one, but I'd like to see how well they are emulated first. I don't really care about the hdmi out, since Lynx games blown up on the big screen aren't really appealing.

Return to “Review Feedback”