2020/8/7: Playstation 4: Late Shift

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/8/7: Playstation 4: Late Shift

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 7th, 2020, 6:22 am

Check out my review of a relatively new FMV style game. I liked it but didn't love it.

TheEagleXIII

Re: 2020/8/7: Playstation 4: Late Shift

Postby TheEagleXIII » August 7th, 2020, 9:00 am

Interesting to see these games have made a comeback, and how much just having a budget and good video quality has!

I always felt half the trouble with old FMV games is they were sold as full-price, cutting edge, next-gen tech. What kinda price point do these newer FMV games tend to sell for? I couldn't imagine forking out much for an experience that's this short with little in the way of consequences for your actions.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 7th, 2020, 9:18 am

Sounds pretty interesting. Another FMV game, "Erica", was free on PS4 a couple months ago and I downloaded it. Sounds like the same concept as this, so I'm hoping to try it out soon.

These games seem like good ones to play alongside with a spouse or other casual gamer, like watching an interactive movie together. One downside-- it sounds like you almost need to commit to having an hour or two set aside to do a full playthrough. Correct me if I'm wrong, but sounds like it would be hard to take a break midway through and pick it up again a few days later.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 7th, 2020, 11:09 am

Retro - you make some excellent points. First of all, the first time I played it was with my wife, who watched an suggested what actions to take. So yeah it was a good couples experience. Might even merit the "girls like this" since my wife won't sit through most.

A reader in another thread mentioned how he saw all the endings by using the save feature. It didn't notice a save feature but then again I wasn't looking for it. When I paused it just said "resume", "options", and "exit", so I don't know where the save fits in there.

Personally I feel like you need to play it from beginning to end to get the full experience.

I will be buying more games like this.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 7th, 2020, 11:55 am

I played through it last week on the Switch. If I recall correctly I only paid about $10 for it a while back.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 7th, 2020, 12:59 pm

I was surprised that this had been out a few years. Guess I've been out of the loop! I did go ahead and add 3 new icons I thought were appropriate.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » August 7th, 2020, 2:37 pm

I preferred the bunker though after the Critic has played and beat it I guess we can discuss that one.

I enjoyed LS but thought it was only okay. Something about it did not grab me and this is what you were saying Critic. That although all the pieces were there is was just lacking.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 7th, 2020, 3:05 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:A reader in another thread mentioned how he saw all the endings by using the save feature. It didn't notice a save feature but then again I wasn't looking for it. When I paused it just said "resume", "options", and "exit", so I don't know where the save fits in there.

While it's not ideal, there's always Youtube. I'm sure all the endings would be posted there, if you just want to see the alternative ways it can end without putting in more time investment.

I did that with Until Dawn, which is like an interactive movie in its own right. My wife and I did the full playthrough together (8-10 hours or whatever it was), but I couldn't justify spending hours and hours to see the different scenarios. We just cheated by watching the different cutscenes on Youtube. Good enough to satisfy my curiosity.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 7th, 2020, 4:57 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:I preferred the bunker though after the Critic has played and beat it I guess we can discuss that one.

I enjoyed LS but thought it was only okay. Something about it did not grab me and this is what you were saying Critic. That although all the pieces were there is was just lacking.

For me it was the girl. I found her annoying more than anything. Her motives and actions did not connect with me. As a result, I could care less for her outcome either way.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 9th, 2020, 11:14 am

I think I'll try The Bunker next.

Return to “Review Feedback”