Pirate Box Art Special

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Pirate Box Art Special

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 19th, 2020, 1:01 pm

I promised this new special and I delivered! Let's hear your comments!
https://videogamecritic.com/extras/art/pirate_art.htm

I worked really hard on this, going back and touching up all nine game reviews associated with this game. I also updated the NES Pirates! review since it was closely related. Let me know if you find any typos! Enjoy.

sixam

Re: Pirate Box Art Special

Postby sixam » August 20th, 2020, 8:29 am

On Astrocade box, instead of a treasure map, that could be a crutch under his armpit. This would be a reference to the classic pirate of Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island, Long John Silver. The difference is that Long John Silver had a crutch under his left arm. Here is an illustration:

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/lon ... ckson.html

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 20th, 2020, 11:23 am

Good insight! That is a crutch! I will update the page.

If you guys spot anything else interesting let me know.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 20th, 2020, 1:35 pm

These box art specials are great, and always a good laugh. Keep em coming! And good choices too... I never appreciated the Monkey Island cover on Sega CD til now, but it deserves it.

One typo I saw: in the Monkey Island (360) section, "this cover" is misspelled as "this ocver" in one spot.

Another good one is the Pirates! cover for the NES version. Were you not a fan of that one, or did you just have too many other Pirates! games on the list? I figured the latter reason.

P.S. For an example of "pirates" box art done wrong, how about the cover of Space Pirates for 3DO....

Image Image

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 20th, 2020, 1:49 pm

Actually I'm not sure why I overlooked Pirates for the NES, but I'm going to add that in now. Stay tuned.

UPDATE: Check it out - it's there now. If anybody else has any late additions let me know.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 20th, 2020, 4:25 pm

I just thought of something that might spice up this page.
I could add some kind of pirate rating - one to five eye patches (or whatever icon I can find) to indicate how pirate-y the art is.
Thoughts?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 20th, 2020, 6:35 pm

I say go for it. I mean, who doesn't like ratings? Although you did pick these based on them having good art, so I imagine most would have solid ratings.

Parrots might make a good icon. The 1-5 parrots rating..

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 20th, 2020, 7:04 pm

Love the parrot idea, but can't seem to find a good icon. Little help...??

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » August 20th, 2020, 11:07 pm

I can't believe you didn't post a side-by-side (or one on top of the other) contrast of the two different Scott Adams "Pirate Adventure" game boxes! The pirate on the cover of the C64 version looks like he regrets every life decision he ever made, a veritable poster child for "Kids, don't turn out like me...", whereas the one for the Apple 2 looks like the dude is about to soak in a treasure-chest shaped hot tub full of gold coins before having his way with a supermodel in a thong bikini.

One of those boxes actually make me want to buy the game. The other makes me want to stay in school and study hard. Talk about two different marketing approaches!

Then there's the Vic 20 version, then called Pirates Cove, which does a great job of nailing all the tropes; eye patch, skull and crossbones hat, cutlass, chest filled with gold, pirate on the shoulder, treasure map... they didn't miss a thing!
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/dd/c1/a1/ddc1a1b577403c1a39eef0aa0dc1452a.jpg

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 21st, 2020, 12:28 am

C64_Critic wrote:Then there's the Vic 20 version, then called Pirates Cove, which does a great job of nailing all the tropes; eye patch, skull and crossbones hat, cutlass, chest filled with gold, pirate on the shoulder, treasure map... they didn't miss a thing!
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/dd/c1/a1/ddc1a1b577403c1a39eef0aa0dc1452a.jpg

There’s a good parrot option for the icon if you could crop it out.

Return to “Review Feedback”