2020/8/22: NES: Athena, Adventures of Dino-Riki, Joe & Mac

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/8/22: NES: Athena, Adventures of Dino-Riki, Joe & Mac

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 22nd, 2020, 9:40 am

Let's hear your thoughts on these NES games I've been playing this summer.

VicViper

Re: 2020/8/22: NES: Athena, Adventures of Dino-Riki, Joe & Mac

Postby VicViper » August 22nd, 2020, 10:43 am

I'm surprised Athena even got a D- at all, it's straight up F- material in my book, especially if you try to finish the game and realise the "Continue" option on the menu screen doesn't work (or does it? I never got it to work at least, I remember it not even being selectable).

I could only go up to the very end with save states because of how terrible the checkpoint system would get later on, because there's a whole gauntlet of bosses with shortened versions/remixes of older levels and I remember if you died once you'd go all the way back. The final boss is a huge piece of... (vietnam flashback) AAAAAAAH!
It's three floating heads and like with anything in the game since you have no invincibility frames, you can die from full health in under half a second if you get caught on the wrong hitbox! I hate it Ihateit! IHATEIT! DIE DIE DIE DIEDIE!

No really, it's really bad.

By the way, SNK did the arcade version, but the conversion was made by Micronics.

Micronics were behind very poor NES conversions, such as Ghosts & Goblins, 1942, Tiger Heli, Ikari Warriors, and made from the ground up the infamous Super Pitfall, among various other things. Their Wikipedia page is far from being complete, it's a Retro Pals stream that showed me everything they've ever made, and my God. Japan wasn't any luckier than we were (aside from a couple way later on).

Their games on NES up until about 1991-1992 were always super jank with lots of flicker & garbage on screen, strangely had load times, and were running at best at half the framerate as your regular NES game (which explains why the flicker/garbage is so noticeable).

Honestly despite the D-, I believe you were really gracious towards that one. The original game's already an acquired taste, but the port just butchered everything.

PS: The "super jump" though it's just the double & triple jumps I think you're talking about. And you just need to jump two/three times in succession.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » August 22nd, 2020, 1:41 pm

Same here on Athena -- I think it's one of the absolute worst games on the NES, and I'm usually forgiving towards "bad" games. It's just actively unpleasant to play, and hostile to the player in a way that makes the whole experience utterly frustrating and joyless. Plus they didn't even bother giving it a real ending!

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » August 22nd, 2020, 7:23 pm

VicViper wrote:I'm surprised Athena even got a D- at all, it's straight up F- material in my book, especially if you try to finish the game and realise the "Continue" option on the menu screen doesn't work (or does it? I never got it to work at least, I remember it not even being selectable).

I could only go up to the very end with save states because of how terrible the checkpoint system would get later on, because there's a whole gauntlet of bosses with shortened versions/remixes of older levels and I remember if you died once you'd go all the way back. The final boss is a huge piece of... (vietnam flashback) AAAAAAAH!
It's three floating heads and like with anything in the game since you have no invincibility frames, you can die from full health in under half a second if you get caught on the wrong hitbox! I hate it Ihateit! IHATEIT! DIE DIE DIE DIEDIE!

No really, it's really bad.

By the way, SNK did the arcade version, but the conversion was made by Micronics.

Micronics were behind very poor NES conversions, such as Ghosts & Goblins, 1942, Tiger Heli, Ikari Warriors, and made from the ground up the infamous Super Pitfall, among various other things. Their Wikipedia page is far from being complete, it's a Retro Pals stream that showed me everything they've ever made, and my God. Japan wasn't any luckier than we were (aside from a couple way later on).

I was expecting Athena to get an F. It's almost universally despised from what I've seen.

Most Micronics NES ports are awful but I do think that Twin Cobra is a solid port. It's probably the closest you'll get to Raiden Trad on the NES.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » August 23rd, 2020, 8:06 am

I was playing it on the SNK 40th Anniversary and I liked it. I thought it was really good. Hence giving it an A plus rating. Though I probably played it for an hour.

VicViper

Postby VicViper » August 23rd, 2020, 9:22 am

BlasteroidAli wrote:I was playing it on the SNK 40th Anniversary and I liked it. I thought it was really good. Hence giving it an A plus rating. Though I probably played it for an hour.

You played the Arcade version then, not the NES conversion which was reviewed here.

The NES version is absolute garbo, it needs to be played to be believed and it's impossible to judge it just by playing the Arcade version, just like it'd be impossible to judge NES Double Dragon 1 based solely on the Master System version for example.

EDIT: Wait, the Anniversary collection has the NES version on it as a bonus? Huh, never would've expected that. If that A+ is based on the console version, well, I'm stumped.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » August 24th, 2020, 3:38 pm

VicViper wrote:
BlasteroidAli wrote:I was playing it on the SNK 40th Anniversary and I liked it. I thought it was really good. Hence giving it an A plus rating. Though I probably played it for an hour.

You played the Arcade version then, not the NES conversion which was reviewed here

EDIT: Wait, the Anniversary collection has the NES version on it as a bonus? Huh, never would've expected that. If that A+ is based on the console version, well, I'm stumped.

I am going to give it another go just to see how bad it really is. I might need to change my mind. ;)
I changed it to a D- like the critic. Not the worst NES game but certainly not a classic.

Tron

Postby Tron » August 25th, 2020, 7:22 pm

I didn’t care for any of these 3 games reviewed. I didn’t expect much from the other 2, but was really disappointed with Athena. I thought it was going to be pretty good.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 28th, 2020, 12:47 am

Athena

Developer: Micronics

Well, that explains a lot...

Return to “Review Feedback”