2020/9/1: Wii: Oregon Trail: 40th Anniversary Edition

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/9/1: Wii: Oregon Trail: 40th Anniversary Edition

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 1st, 2020, 4:04 pm

Let me know what you think about my review!

Retro STrife

Re: 2020/9/1: Wii: Oregon Trail: 40th Anniversary Edition

Postby Retro STrife » September 1st, 2020, 4:34 pm

I've been looking forward to this one, as a fan of Oregon Trail and Oregon Trail II from computer class growing up. (Hot take: Oregon Trail has more charm and nostalgia for it, but Oregon Trail II is a much better game.) I still play the original Oregon Trail on my Apple IIe once every year or two. Oregon Trail II is a Windows 95 game, so I assume it's a little harder to play these days.

Anyway, great review and I even lol'ed about poor Jessica, and the protests too. Such is life on the trail... You mentioned not learning anything and it made me thinking "did we really learn anything when playing it in school either?".. Certainly not geography. If anything, I think it gave us some perspective about life for those traveling west in the mid 1800s, and what life was like back then. Also it taught me that a lot of meat got wasted in the 1800s -- even after killing like 10 buffalo, you could never carry more than 100 pounds back to your wagon. Many people died from starvation on the trail because these couch potatoes couldn't be bothered to get a gym membership.

From your description, I hope they didn't over-complicate the game too much with extra fuss. The older games were streamlined and simple - you didn't have to worry about steering the wagon or steering past hazards in the rivers. The game handled that on its own, while you just tried to keep your wagon in good shape, and everyone healthy and fed. Anyway, I have the 3DS version of this remake (which I think is very similar to the Wii version) so I'll have to try it out sometime.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » September 1st, 2020, 6:41 pm

Ah Oregon Trail, one can't say that name without someone getting nostalgic, whether you played it at school or at home. I had the deluxe edition and the 3rd edition. Of course I've succeeded and I have failed sometimes. Mom once told me some kid played the game and at one point he shot a lot of deer and got a rare message that the Indians were angry about that. Nevertheless, thanks to a website called Classic Reload I can replay the game (the 90's version). I even remember one time, I jokingly made my caravan all the same name (Buster Keaton, a famous 1920's comic actor and a nod to one of his works "The Playhouse").

jon

Postby jon » September 1st, 2020, 8:47 pm

This is a game that was definitely fun as a kid. It does get old really fast. It seemed each time I played I got worse and worse. It's definitely not for people with short attention spans.

Voor

Postby Voor » September 3rd, 2020, 5:45 pm

Critic: just for fun, what rating would you give the original version?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 3rd, 2020, 7:39 pm

Voor wrote:Critic: just for fun, what rating would you give the original version?

Never played the original, believe it or not. It was a little after my time.

Return to “Review Feedback”