The Intellivision has more A+ games than any other system. All of them were released this century.

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
ThePixelatedGenocide

The Intellivision has more A+ games than any other system. All of them were released this century.

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » September 5th, 2020, 12:19 pm

Kudos to the critic for covering some of the most overlooked gaming around, and kudos to the Intellivision homebrew scene for showing us the untapped power of 16-bits.

LoganRuckman

Re: The Intellivision has more A+ games than any other system. All of them were released this century.

Postby LoganRuckman » September 5th, 2020, 3:15 pm

Yeah, I think it may be time to upgrade the overall score for Intellivision games from a C+. 66 games are in the A+-B- range, with 33 being A+-A-. That's a hell of a quality library. Interesting to see how many of them are homebrew.

Teddybear

Re: The Intellivision has more A+ games than any other system. All of them were released this century.

Postby Teddybear » September 5th, 2020, 4:25 pm

While my first gaming system was an Atari 2600, my first love is my Intellivision.

This topic made me look at all the "A" games for the system - Pinball, Mouse Trap and Stampede? Really?

Let's drop them to "B"s and upgrade Slam Dunk, Thin Ice, AD & D Cloudy Mountain and Super Pro Baseball (another homebrew masterpiece by Intelligentvision) to their rightful place as "A" games.

Ask any other Intellivision lover - they'll agree with me and tell you the same thing.

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » September 6th, 2020, 5:49 am

Should the overall games score include homebrews released after a consoles commercial time?

I don't know how the critic would make it clear whether homebrews are covered by the games score or not though.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » September 6th, 2020, 10:31 am

George Plimpton knew his gaming. Got Pong first, then the 2600, then moved onto the more sophisticated INTV when I began wearing tweed smoking jackets, using “summer” as a verb, and demanding more from my poor butler Jeeves.

Think I’ve posted this here before but the INTV demo release in 1979 is pretty awesome (Jeeves agrees).
https://youtu.be/ppYK29cHygQ

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » September 6th, 2020, 1:43 pm

Gleebergloben123 wrote:Think I’ve posted this here before but the INTV demo release in 1979 is pretty awesome (Jeeves agrees).
https://youtu.be/ppYK29cHygQ

I was first bored, then amused by the plans to make it into a computer that resulted in a lawsuit, but when he started describing the games...? I was completely invested.

I wish people still described games that way, instead of "[genre] mechanics" and "reward loops".

Let me lose myself in a bit of kayfabe.
Last edited by ThePixelatedGenocide on September 6th, 2020, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 6th, 2020, 4:12 pm

Verm3 wrote:Should the overall games score include homebrews released after a consoles commercial time?

I don't know how the critic would make it clear whether homebrews are covered by the games score or not though.

I use the same standard to judge official releases and homebrews. It does kind of make some sense a lot of the more recent titles are rated highly, as they're built on decade of experience programming the console.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » September 6th, 2020, 7:43 pm

I must say I am not sure it had any a plus games. Though I do not like sports games. Maybe it is the critics fave but I thought it was the weakest of the systems with no good games and ropey graphics with a terrible control system.

Hey that is just me I guess. My fave system? I do not have one. I like bit of all of the systems. It is mainly down to the really good games I remember, Rescue on Fractulus on Atari 800xl, Zybex Atari 800xl, Doom on SNES, Journey Escape on 2600m Doom on the jag.. mostly games the Critic hates, I love.. but it still is very interesting reading about systems from the days when I was young.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » September 7th, 2020, 7:17 am

BlasteroidAli wrote:I must say I am not sure it had any a plus games. Though I do not like sports games. Maybe it is the critics fave but I thought it was the weakest of the systems with no good games and ropey graphics with a terrible control system.

Hey that is just me I guess. My fave system? I do not have one. I like bit of all of the systems. It is mainly down to the really good games I remember, Rescue on Fractulus on Atari 800xl, Zybex Atari 800xl, Doom on SNES, Journey Escape on 2600m Doom on the jag.. mostly games the Critic hates, I love.. but it still is very interesting reading about systems from the days when I was young.

I think I should read the comment at the start before commenting. Look at the stats to see 3 a plus games of the 21 century (Schizoid man) all homebrews and all of which I want to play.

Plus back to Battlestar Galactica. I have Battlestar Galactica deadlock on my pc. I have not started it yet as it looks so in depth.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » September 12th, 2020, 11:13 pm

I'm not surprised. Scores are relative to the library, so an early, simple system with a relatively small library has a lot of room for a well-crafted homebrew to scoop up a perfect score.

Return to “Review Feedback”