Updated Halloween Special 2020

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Updated Halloween Special 2020

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 17th, 2020, 4:34 pm

I added a bunch of new games to the Halloween review special. It's become pretty massive.
https://videogamecritic.com//extras/the ... loween.htm

Let me know if you have any suggestions in terms of content or format!

Retro STrife

Re: Updated Halloween Special 2020

Postby Retro STrife » September 17th, 2020, 5:41 pm

As always, your most impressive feature by far, year after year. Even though I'm a wuss and don't like get creeped out by games, I still find a few ideas of new games to play each year. This year I hope to finally play through Silent Hill on PS1, along with Nightmare Before Christmas: Oogie's Revenge, and maybe Alan Wake.

Some notes:

-Sort of typo: The pumpkin on "The Ring" review (Dreamcast) is out of place.
-Slain: Back from Hell doesn't have any scary parts in it, so it seems like a 1 or 2 gravestone game. Was surprised by the 4 gravestones.
-Condemned is #5 on your list of all-time scariest games, but you only gave it 4 gravestones instead of 5. Just the demo of this game used to scare the crap out of me.
-Speaking of your Scariest Games list, you had Alien Isolation at #1, but it's missing from this Halloween special!
-Some survival horror themed games were left off the list too. A couple example are Cursed Mountain (Wii) and Typing of the Dead (Dreamcast). Probably more too. That might have been intentional to save space, since those might be borderline choices, but figured I'd mention it just in case.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 17th, 2020, 7:53 pm

Retro - fantastic feedback! You're like the editor I never had!
Applied most of your fixes/changes, including adding Cursed Mountain (easy one to overlook).
As for Alien Isolation, I just don't consider sci-fi Halloweenish enough to be included.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 18th, 2020, 8:38 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:As for Alien Isolation, I just don't consider sci-fi Halloweenish enough to be included.

Ah ok. I thought to myself that it might deserve an honorary bump to the list, as the scariest game you'd ever played. But you're right that it doesn't fit the Halloween theme.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » September 18th, 2020, 8:56 am

Glaring omissions.

As previously mentioned. You do not have alien isolation in there? Forget that it is on a space ship and just think it is on a sailing ship. You are trapped on board with a monster. It is the palpable sense of terror I felt playing the game. I did so with a friend and the amount of jump scares in that game is amazing. I was recently playing it on pc.. and I found it just to scary... which is great A+
Also, The last of us. A zombie plague has attacked the world. Very similar to Harry Adam Knight's Fungus which was later ripped off to the core by the Girl with all the gifts. It is like the plague is carried by pollen. This sets it aside from most zombie games and gives it a unique feel. Then the game itself is just a joy but play it on easy as the game is rock hard. That is ps3/ps4
With a current sequel Last of us 2 on ps4 as an exclusive.

Then there is days gone. A zombie biker hybrid. I bought it for my brother for his birthday and he tells me it is simply awesome. That is another ps4 game.

Other than that an extensive list of games. It seems you are really into the NES.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » September 18th, 2020, 5:16 pm

I recently played Friday the 13th on the NES. I think the review is a little harsh. But I think that toughest nails icon should be applied. That game is tough as hell. But fun.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 18th, 2020, 5:24 pm

matmico399 wrote:I recently played Friday the 13th on the NES. I think the review is a little harsh. But I think that toughest nails icon should be applied. That game is tough as hell. But fun.

As a little kid, that game scared me like no other. It was fun, but I had legit anxiety about running into Jason inside the camp houses. I can still hear that jump scare noise that initiates when you run into him. Between the Jason encounters and the overall creepy atmosphere, I think it's the "scariest" game I've played from the 80s. Granted it's not actually scary now, since that's almost impossible with an 8-bit game, but it's as close as I've seen.

But for some reason, Friday the 13th is routinely trashed as one of the worst NES games ever (the VGC review is almost nice by comparison). I'm not saying it's a good game, but I agree with you that it's better than people think. Then again, I grew up with it so maybe I'm clouded by nostalgia.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » September 18th, 2020, 5:34 pm

Friday the 13th on the NES is definitely not as bad as most people claim it is. It’s confusing as hell, but once you understand the mechanics of the game it’s quite fun.

I’m with you Retro Strife. As a kid Friday the 13th scared me so much. I used to rent it all the time and get so freaked out in the cabins and when Jason would pop out of the water. Pretty effective stuff for a primitive 8-bit game aimed at children.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 18th, 2020, 7:42 pm

Now you guys have me intrigued about Friday the 13th. I want to play it again. Maybe it'll click this time.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » September 19th, 2020, 2:53 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Now you guys have me intrigued about Friday the 13th. I want to play it again. Maybe it'll click this time.

Try to save it until I'm back; I'd be very interested to see how it contrasts/compares with the C64 version!

Return to “Review Feedback”