2020/9/19: Wii: No More Heroes, No More Heroes 2

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/9/19: Wii: No More Heroes, No More Heroes 2

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 19th, 2020, 10:01 am

Check out my long awaited review of No More Heroes 2! I also went back and re-reviewed the old one, keeping the same grade.

Buttermancan

Re: 2020/9/19: Wii: No More Heroes, No More Heroes 2

Postby Buttermancan » September 23rd, 2020, 5:56 am

The graphics here look really cool. Did it ever come out for the Xbox 360 or PS3? It's good to hear that the wii Controls didn't get in the way of the combat. Sometimes playing Wii games feels like you're battling against the controls before you begin.
Did this have any sequels on later machines?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 23rd, 2020, 12:17 pm

This is one of those series I always hope to get around to playing, but it just hasn't happened yet. But thanks for the reviews. I read them to see what I was missing. I own the first game, but not the second. From your reviews, it sounds like playing the first one will do the trick.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 23rd, 2020, 12:20 pm

Buttermancan wrote:Did this have any sequels on later machines?

These two are only on the Wii. There is a newer game ("Travis Strikes Again") on the Switch, but review scores were lower. A new sequel (No More Heroes 3) is headed to Switch in the next year or two. For the Wii games, the sword motion controls were a big part of the selling point when they marketed the game, so I think that's one of the reasons it never got ported elsewhere.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » September 23rd, 2020, 12:42 pm

Buttermancan wrote:The graphics here look really cool. Did it ever come out for the Xbox 360 or PS3?

There is a PS3 game called No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise. It's a HD remaster of the original game with added content (including five extra boss fights from the second game and extra jobs to earn money) and some rebalanced mechanics. It has support for motion controls using the Move controller, but it can be played with a regular Dualshock controller as well. I haven't played it, but the top review on Amazon gives a good rundown of the various changes and additions:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-revi ... B002I0K7ZI

I personally prefer the first game in spite of some jank and some flaws (mostly empty open world and some grinding for money in order to progress), mainly because it has more memorable boss characters in my opinion and a more nihilistic tone - the second game tries too hard to make Travis a hero instead of the sociopath that he is.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 23rd, 2020, 2:20 pm

Ah, didn't know about the PS3 port. Thanks velcrozombie. Looks like it flew under the radar in general, as used copies are getting pricey now.

Return to “Review Feedback”