2020/10/6: Saturn: Street Fighter The Movie

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/10/6: Saturn: Street Fighter The Movie

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 6th, 2020, 5:55 pm

Check out my re-review (C- to C+) of Street Fighter the Movie and let me know what you think.

VicViper

Re: 2020/10/6: Saturn: Street Fighter The Movie

Postby VicViper » October 7th, 2020, 3:13 am

C+ is fair.

Tbh as my first Street Fighter game, I never felt it did anything bad. The lack of Turbo enhancement might be the biggest thing against it (and load times), but it's more a negative because of something the game doesn't have rather than what the game actually features.

And speaking of features, I don't know if it was in any Street Fighter before that one, but I love the Survival Mode (probably named differently, it's been so long) where it also scores your performance whenever you lose.

It's also stiffer than the usual, but hey, it's not like Super Mario Bros. controls were completely intact in Super Mario Maker 1 & 2 or in Super Mario Bros. 35 either, in both cases it's not different enough to be a deal breaker. Similarly, Super Smash Bros. Brawl has weaker gameplay than the others, and yet it's still a terrific game and with much better single player content than Smash 4 & Ultimate.

To me it's in the B range, and I'd argue it'd be even higher if that had been released in 1991 in Street Fighter II's place. It's really just Street Fighter II with another code of paint, an actual story mode, a Survival Mode, and super moves. (and double Hadokens I remember doing those before, I don't remember how, in any case it's not a CPU exclusive move)

And sure, "just another Street Fighter II" in 1995 makes it not really all that revolutionary, to that I say that the 5 or so other Street Fighter IIs released before that, most of them were just incremental upgrades, and that goes doubly so for Turbo HD Remix, and triply so for Ultra Street Fighter II being mostly just a port of the latter.

GeoX

Postby GeoX » October 7th, 2020, 6:06 am

“Wham Bam Van Damme!”
“The Muscles From Brussels!”
Still it ain’t nothing without Patrick Swayze...
Roadhouse!

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » October 11th, 2020, 2:26 am

Refreshing not to see this game get absolutely panned - even if it is still average. This game always seems to live/die by the movie's reputation. I've never checked it out for that reason, but seeing that slice of 90s pop culture - as you put it - makes me wanna give it a go. That and hearing Van Damme mispronounce all the character names!

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » October 11th, 2020, 1:03 pm

Well this has nothing to do with the game, but I watched the movie this morning for the first time. OMG what a hot mess! It is one of those movies that is hard to watch but you can't turn away! Like a train wreck. What I cannot understand is that you have a decent cast for the main characters but yet the movie is just so miserable. No need to ever watch that again.

VicViper

Postby VicViper » October 11th, 2020, 5:56 pm

newmodelarmy wrote:Well this has nothing to do with the game, but I watched the movie this morning for the first time. OMG what a hot mess! It is one of those movies that is hard to watch but you can't turn away! Like a train wreck. What I cannot understand is that you have a decent cast for the main characters but yet the movie is just so miserable. No need to ever watch that again.

Tbh it's the kind of movie that's extremely fun to watch if you manage to go with its flow. It's a very stupid movie for fun sake, but it's also strangely occasionally smart in its writing.

For what it's worth, it also has some very effective comedy in places, the "It was Tuesday" scene is a legit great classic, and oh my God the memorable lines and delivery.

"Quick! Change the channel!"
"I guess you didn't see that, did you?" (while covering his eye, making fun of Sagat's eyepatch)
"You still refuse to accept my God-hood? Keep your own God! In fact, this might be a good time to pray to Him. For I beheld Satan as he fell from heaven! LIKE LIGHTNIIIING!!"

"- General Bison is a bad guy? If you know then why do you work for him?
- Because he paid me a freakin fortune, Man! If you know what's good for you you'll save your own ass!
- ... you got... paid?”

Paradoxically, it's an action movie where action is probably the weakest part, but I absolutely disagree with people saying that it's an unenjoyable movie. Like, even when I'm groaning at some parts, I'm in absolute admiration of this movie, seeing that it basically retains very little of the source material and the behind the scenes show that it was an absolute nightmare to shoot because of the producers, and everyone was underprepared, and they had a tight deadline, and "Jean-Claude was coked out of his mind", and several pages of script were cut, and actual scenes were cut just to fit the PG-13 rating (because it was originally rated R)... BUT IT'S JUST TOO DAMN FUN.

I wish we'd live in the universe where the movie wasn't compromised by all of this. I mean, De Souza made Die Hard after all, there was further potential.

Return to “Review Feedback”