2020/10/12: Playstation 4: MediEvil

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/10/12: Playstation 4: MediEvil

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 12th, 2020, 10:25 am

Check out my latest PS4 review for MediEvil. Seems like a rehash but when you consider it was 20+ years since its original release, maybe it was time.

matmico399

Re: 2020/10/12: Playstation 4: MediEvil

Postby matmico399 » October 12th, 2020, 5:16 pm

Critic from what I have read, I think you should put the sleeping pill icon on this one

noah98

Postby noah98 » October 12th, 2020, 7:52 pm

I've been tempted to buy this for $15, but I didn't really like the demo. I like the Halloween vibe though.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 13th, 2020, 11:27 am

The line at the beginning of the review referring to the mileage that Sony has gotten out of this game makes me think. How many other games have been re-re-released with the only significant changes being cosmetic?

Would be an interesting subject for discussion; below are a few examples I could think of off the top of my noggin:

Rayman 2 (N64, PS1, Dreamcast, Nintendo DS (as Rayman DS), Nintendo 3DS (as Rayman 3D))
Super Mario Bros 3 (NES, SNES (as part of All-Stars), GBA (as Super Mario Advance 4) (note - the Wii All-Stars is the same game as the SNES)
The Legend of Zelda - Link's Awakening (Game Boy, Game Boy Color (as DX), Switch)

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 13th, 2020, 12:09 pm

MSR1701 wrote:The line at the beginning of the review referring to the mileage that Sony has gotten out of this game makes me think. How many other games have been re-re-released with the only significant changes being cosmetic?

Would be an interesting subject for discussion; below are a few examples I could think of off the top of my noggin:

That comment caught my attention too, as I tried to think of other Sony series from the PS1 days. I did a quick scroll through the list of PS1 games published by Sony, and Medievil was the only one I immediately noticed as having 3 separate releases. So it seems like a fair statement by VGC. Pretty funny choice by Sony, since Medievil wasn't even all that good or popular in 1998, let alone now.

As for other series that have gotten several re-releases and remakes, RPGs are probably the worst offender. Final Fantasy games come to mind, especially Final Fantasy IV. That's probably the worst culprit -- you have releases on the SNES, PS1, GBA, DS, Wonderswan, mobile phones, and digital versions (Wii, PC, etc.), and that's just off the top of my head. Lunar: The Silver Star is another that comes to mind, with Sega CD, PS1, GBA, and PSP releases, but that almost seems tame compared to FF4.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 13th, 2020, 12:18 pm

Retro STrife wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:The line at the beginning of the review referring to the mileage that Sony has gotten out of this game makes me think. How many other games have been re-re-released with the only significant changes being cosmetic?

That comment caught my attention too, as I tried to think of other Sony series from the PS1 days. I did a quick scroll through the list of PS1 games published by Sony, and Medievil was the only one I immediately noticed as having 3 separate releases. So it seems like a fair statement by VGC. Pretty funny choice by Sony, since Medievil wasn't even all that good or popular in 1998, let alone now.

As for other series that have gotten several re-releases and remakes, RPGs are probably the worst offender. Final Fantasy games come to mind, especially Final Fantasy IV. That's probably the worst culprit -- you have releases on the SNES, PS1, GBA, DS, Wonderswan, mobile phones, and digital versions (Wii, PC, etc.), and that's just off the top of my head. Lunar: The Silver Star is another that comes to mind, with Sega CD, PS1, GBA, and PSP releases, but that almost seems tame compared to FF4.

Oh Blast, how'd I forget FFIV??? Easily the most ported FF game, also one of the most ported RPGs of all time. Also add PSP to FFIV for the "Complete" release that was a 2D visual overhaul and included most of the mobile versions in one game.
Lunar 1 is also a very good one. FFI is another that can be added (NES, PSX, Wonderswan Color, GBA, PSP, Mobile).

I do recall Medievil being somewhat popular when I was growing up, though I only played the sequel in demo form (one of my mags had a disc with an interesting demo). Always thought that it could be a good series, but like many PSX era products (Jumping Flash...), nothing really remains today except rereleases or remakes of existing games, no new games.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 13th, 2020, 12:27 pm

MSR1701 wrote:I do recall Medievil being somewhat popular when I was growing up, though I only played the sequel in demo form (one of my mags had a disc with an interesting demo). Always thought that it could be a good series, but like many PSX era products (Jumping Flash...), nothing really remains today except rereleases or remakes of existing games, no new games.

Just my opinion, but I think Medievil's popularity was more perception than reality. It was one of Sony's big first-party games of 1998, so they did a ton of advertising for it and slapped it on any demo disc they made. So there was a lot of saturation of Medievil content out in the gaming world - so much so that we all remember the game today even if we didn't own it.

The sales figures don't exist for the PS1 version (as far as I could find), but I doubt it sold what Sony had hoped after all that marketing push. I never heard people actually talking about it or all that interested in it back in 1998, or even clamoring for the remake nowadays. I think Sony was just looking for a game to remake after the success of the Crash Bandicoot remake. But Medievil just doesn't have that same level of nostalgia or interest.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 13th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Retro STrife wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:I do recall Medievil being somewhat popular when I was growing up, though I only played the sequel in demo form (one of my mags had a disc with an interesting demo). Always thought that it could be a good series, but like many PSX era products (Jumping Flash...), nothing really remains today except rereleases or remakes of existing games, no new games.

Just my opinion, but I think Medievil's popularity was more perception than reality. It was one of Sony's big first-party games of 1998, so they did a ton of advertising for it and slapped it on any demo disc they made. So there was a lot of saturation of Medievil content out in the gaming world - so much so that we all remember the game today even if we didn't own it.

The sales figures don't exist for the PS1 version (as far as I could find), but I doubt it sold what Sony had hoped after all that marketing push. I never heard people actually talking about it or all that interested in it back in 1998, or even clamoring for the remake nowadays. I think Sony was just looking for a game to remake after the success of the Crash Bandicoot remake. But Medievil just doesn't have that same level of nostalgia or interest.

I agree, Medievil is nowhere near the same fame or nostalgia that Crash or even Spyro; that said, it is one of the few fondly remembered series/games that Sony still owns the rights to that can come even close to matching.

Sadly, series that Sony DOES own the rights to tend to be left in the dust bin - Jumping Flash, Wipeout, Lemmings...

HawgWyld

Postby HawgWyld » October 27th, 2020, 11:41 am

Somehow, I've overlooked the MediEvil series. After reading this review, however, I picked up a copy. I'm glad I did. My only complaint is that it is almost too easy.

Return to “Review Feedback”