2020/10/18: Playstation 4: PGA Tour 2K21

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: 2020/10/18: Playstation 4: PGA Tour 2K21

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 21st, 2020, 5:11 pm

TIm - Yes I was surprised to hear that. PGA 2K21 definitely felt like a new franchise, but then again it had been several years since I played one of the Golf Club games.

Retro - Thanks for the info; I found it riveting. Somebody should have mapped out the entire place so they could make a video game based on it. And from your description alone I can confirm 100% that was real paranoid activity! I am checking out those book links. Were the photos you posted taken by you?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 22nd, 2020, 8:39 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Retro - Thanks for the info; I found it riveting. Somebody should have mapped out the entire place so they could make a video game based on it. And from your description alone I can confirm 100% that was real paranoid activity! I am checking out those book links. Were the photos you posted taken by you?

Anyone coming in this golf topic is going to think they clicked the Resident Evil post by mistake haha. A couple of those photos are mine (like the morgue). A couple others are from the internet (like the wheelchair in the tunnel). I had an old digital camera back then, so my photos aren't as good as most that you'll find online from people with real photography equipment. Since the place had over 50 buildings, it's hard to summarize it with just 5 or 10 photos, but that's what I was going for with the photos I picked. The auditorium and bowling alley were my personal favorite spots. Seeing abandoned places, imagining people have fun there 50 years ago is more interesting to me than the creepy medical rooms and tunnels where not-so-fun things happened.

That bowling alley is actually one of two on the property. That one in the photo is from the 1950s or 1960s, and was used by residents. There was also a "clubhouse" for employees, built in the 30s or 40s, which had a basketball court upstairs and a bowling alley in the basement. It was a lot more rundown and damaged. But imaging exploring these buildings and stumbling upon these amazing places... I did not know these auditoriums, bowling alleys, etc. were even there until I turned a corner and there they were. That kind of exploration and discovery is a cool experience.

Here's a few more pics, including historical photos of those places in use:

13.jpg
13.jpg (48.99 KiB) Viewed 1035 times

14.jpg
14.jpg (62.66 KiB) Viewed 1035 times

15.jpg
15.jpg (58.21 KiB) Viewed 1035 times

Voor

Postby Voor » October 22nd, 2020, 2:37 pm

I live near a facility like that. In earlier days, psychiatric patients were essentially “warehoused”, but later that was deemed inhumane, and many were “let loose” as folks around here like to say. Lol.

Either way, this town is still known as the place were people in the state are brought to if they don’t “act right”.

These days, it’s 99% abandoned. I actually worked in one of the remaining buildings that was kept active, and we’d often see tons of police cars at the other buildings—they were conducting practice “raids”. I remember having to re-activate a couple of the buildings to make room for hurricane evacuees, it was definitely weird walking in and seeing them still furnished, sheets still on beds, etc.

Interestingly, I have been watching Rachted on Netflix, based on the infamous nurse from One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, most of which occurs in these types of facilities.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » October 22nd, 2020, 3:46 pm

When I was doing freelance camera/editing work a decade ago I got to film some stuff in an abandoned Asylum on the outskirts of my town. It's one of the coolest places I've ever explored - but it's a shame I was more focused on the job at hand. Being there until near sundown (without permission naturally) was incredibly creepy - even with almost 20 of us in the crew.

They're fascinating places to explore (would've been better if it hadn't in most likelihood been riddled with asbestos!) but it pales in comparison to the one you worked at Strife. As much as I hate this to hijack the original topic I could check out pictures of this place daily without losing interest.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 26th, 2020, 10:05 am

TheEagleXIII wrote:When I was doing freelance camera/editing work a decade ago I got to film some stuff in an abandoned Asylum on the outskirts of my town. It's one of the coolest places I've ever explored - but it's a shame I was more focused on the job at hand. Being there until near sundown (without permission naturally) was incredibly creepy - even with almost 20 of us in the crew.

They're fascinating places to explore (would've been better if it hadn't in most likelihood been riddled with asbestos!) but it pales in comparison to the one you worked at Strife.

Very cool to hear the stories from you and Voor as well. I think there were a lot of these types of hospitals in the early to mid 1900s, especially up in the Northeast US, but budget cuts and changes in mental health medicine and treatment gradually phased them out. This campus was one of the biggest that I know, but I'm sure there are even bigger and more famous ones around among the urban explorer and ghost hunter crowd. Personally, what interests me is the abandoned aspect of it all rather than the paranormal part of it. Just cool to imagine what it once was and people living there, and then seeing how it looks now after years of being reclaimed by nature.

TheEagleXIII wrote:As much as I hate this to hijack the original topic I could check out pictures of this place daily without losing interest.

Yes, certainly didn't mean to steer away from the PGA Tour conversation when I mentioned playing golf on PSP in my haunted asylum days.. But since the Critic was the one asking, I figure he was ok with heading off topic.

Return to “Review Feedback”