2020/10/28: NES: Nightmare on Elm St

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/10/28: NES: Nightmare on Elm St

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 28th, 2020, 5:02 pm

More Halloween hijinx. Check out my updated review of Nightmare on Elm Street (C+ -> B)

Zack Burner

Re: 2020/10/28: NES: Nightmare on Elm St

Postby Zack Burner » October 28th, 2020, 9:44 pm

Guess things get better with more time and experience! Course I'd seriously doubt the same for NES Friday the 13th which is still awful and confusing.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 29th, 2020, 9:59 am

I had this one as a kid, and still have that same copy hanging around. I played it once in awhile back in the day, even though it creeped me out (especially when it switched to dream world). I didn't know it was based on the third movie; interesting. Based on my memory of the game, I'd agree with your take on it.

If I remember it this weekend, maybe I'll pull it off the shelf to play. I haven't played it since I was a kid, so I'd like to try it again and see what I think.

In terms of gameplay, this game was definitely a step up from Friday the 13th on NES. But in terms of creeping me out as a kid, Friday the 13th trumps all others from that era.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » August 1st, 2021, 12:10 am

A little late to the party here, but I'm glad to see this game get a second look. It's one I remember playing with friends when I was younger, and I remember having a pretty good time with it. I liked how challenging the game was compared to other co-op NES games like Chip N' Dale or Contra, and it's always nice to play a co-op NES game that isn't just a straightforward beat-'em-up. How I wish Friday The 13th would have gotten the same treatment!

On a side note, it's surprising to see how expensive this game has gotten. The wife and I were chatting about games based on movies and TV shows that we had when we were a kid, so I took a look online to track a few down that we're missing from our lineup. Some are still pretty cheap (NES versions of The Rocketeer and RoboCop, the Genesis version of Aladdin) but not Elm Street.

I'm all right with springing around ten or twenty bucks for some impulse-buy video game nostalgia, but at its current asking price, I guess Elm Street is one childhood game that we're gonna have to pass on. Too bad.

Return to “Review Feedback”