Turbografx-16 Mini Console review

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Turbografx-16 Mini Console review

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 4th, 2020, 7:08 pm

Check out my review of the Turbografx-16 Mini console. This is a great value if you can find one.

https://videogamecritic.com/extras/revi ... bomini.htm

Comments encouraged!

PS: I'd like to know how this looks on a phone too!

TheEagleXIII

Re: Turbografx-16 Mini Console review

Postby TheEagleXIII » November 5th, 2020, 3:51 am

Nice review. Personally, out of the box, the Mega Drive is my favourite mini, but objectively I think it sounds like the TurboGrafx is the best. Good selection of games and loads of neat little touches. They definitely took full advantage of being the last to release, learning and improving on all those before it.

Thanks to the hacking scene I have other ways to experience the console, so I don’t see me buying it. But it still would definitely be cool to own, even if it was just for that original hardware feel.

(Review looks great on mobile by the way).

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 5th, 2020, 8:23 am

Excellent review; I think you hit all the high points. I agree that this system is really a great value, and it explains why it's not dropping in price quickly like other mini systems did (e.g., PS1 and Genesis). It's my favorite mini and the one I've played the most by far. While I own a Turbografx, so many of the games are cost-prohibitive and this mini includes a lot of the games I've wanted to try. Even for Turbografx owners, this mini might save them from ever needing the CD attachment. The TG-CD and its games are getting so rare and expensive to find in good working order. This mini hits some of the biggest CD games (like Lords of Thunder and Ys Books I & II), so it's really hard to beat the value.

I also appreciate your review for highlighting some of the more obscure games on the system. For example, I had not played Daimakaimura yet, but I will now that you've mentioned it's a Ghouls n Ghosts game.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 5th, 2020, 9:00 am

Yeah, between the four minis I have NES, SNES, Genesis, the Turbografx-16 is hands down my favorite.

I would humbly argue that even at twice the cost the value you get is immense. If you were to put dollars down for each game that's included, plus the actual hardware, you're probably looking at several thousand dollars worth of games to play.

The only nitpick that I would throw out for the review is that you mention Snatcher is included, but unless you can read Japanese it's off limits. There isn't an English translation patch available. If they would have included the Sega Genesis CD version of it or a copy then that would be awesome. Regardless, it's still a great mini and hands down my favorite.

I'm hoping it gets hacked soon so we can install JB Harold Murder Club and It Came from the Desert! :lol:

<edit:> On a phone factor the review appears to have too much margin or padding on both sides. It places the text in a long skinny list about an inch wide. You may want to get rid of all that padding on both sides to make it easier to read. I emailed you a screenshot of it. Thanks!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 5th, 2020, 9:29 am

My one annoyance with the system is the plastic attachment for the back. I get that they were trying to keep it authentic, but I think everyone just removes it and leaves it lying around. As you point out in the review, it serves little purpose other than getting in the way. But in the grand scheme of the system, that's a minor complaint.

jake3492

Postby jake3492 » November 5th, 2020, 10:21 am

I heard that it's worth it to import the Coregrafx mini from Europe as it's half the size with gamepads that have turbo buttons. Is this correct? Is there any downside to doing that (other than shipping costs)?

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 5th, 2020, 3:08 pm

jake3492 wrote:I heard that it's worth it to import the Coregrafx mini from Europe as it's half the size with gamepads that have turbo buttons. Is this correct? Is there any downside to doing that (other than shipping costs)?

The Turbografx-16 Mini has turbo buttons as well. It's a slider for off, medium, and fast. They are the same controllers with different colored labels on them, but it's the same controller hardware between all three variants.

But, having a smaller mini is certainly cool.

You'll probably want to order the wireless controllers anyway which have a different way to set the speed of the turbo functions but it's fine either way.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 5th, 2020, 4:15 pm

Actraiser - good point about Snatcher. I will add a note to the review.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » November 8th, 2020, 7:15 pm

I am so happy I ordered this system on a whim when it was first released. I didn’t have much exposure to any of the games on the console—save for downloading Bonk and Bloody Wolf on Wii—so most of the games were completely new to me.

It’s kind of a bummer, though, because I would have loved this system, back in the day. I was under the false assumption that it wasn’t a good system based solely on the lack of success in the states.

Based on my experience with it, I want to put it as being the best mini console, but—man, the Sega Mini had a pretty killer lineup, as did the SNES Classic. I do think, though, that Nintendo should have beefed up the lineup to include all three DKC’s, the entire Mega Man X series, and a few more odds and ends (it would have been awesome to have Chrono Trigger).

Return to “Review Feedback”