2020/12/4: Neo Geo: Samurai Shodown IV: Amakusa's Revenge, Samurai Shodown V

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/12/4: Neo Geo: Samurai Shodown IV: Amakusa's Revenge, Samurai Shodown V

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 4th, 2020, 3:59 pm

You may be surprised by these brand new Neo Geo reviews. Let me know what you think.

Next up is the new Samurai Shodown for the PS4!

ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: 2020/12/4: Neo Geo: Samurai Shodown IV: Amakusa's Revenge, Samurai Shodown V

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » December 5th, 2020, 12:42 am

Surprised me with this one. Samurai Shodown IV is probably the best game to ever receive an F. The AI's nowhere near as bad as MK2 and AoF2 - I'm not boasting when I say it felt like the easiest game in the series.

Usually, it'll take me an hour or two to beat the first two.

Meanwhile, part V felt like an official MUGEN release. The archer especially, felt like she came from another game entirely. And Nobuhiro Watsuki's new modified sprite characters felt like unofficial fan creations.

Still, agreed that part 2 was the best of the series.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: 2020/12/4: Neo Geo: Samurai Shodown IV: Amakusa's Revenge, Samurai Shodown V

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 5th, 2020, 11:29 am

It's all relative. On some systems Samurai Shodown 4 might rate a C or better, but on a system known for fighters, and in a series that set the bar so high, this was a big letdown. A lazy effort at best. Certainly nothing worth recommending.

jon

Postby jon » December 5th, 2020, 7:38 pm

The AI on AOF 2 lol, not the easiest fighting game. I’m a little surprised considering other reviews rate SS 4 highly. I’ll eventually put some time in on it. These Neo Geo reviews are almost the whole library now amazing. I can’t think of any more I’d really look forward to besides maybe the Last Blade games and Ultimate 11, the final Super Sidekicks game.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 6th, 2020, 4:11 am

Enjoying these recent Neo Geo reviews. Looking forward to hearing how the PS4 reboot turned out.

By the way, do you have Garou: Mark of the Wolves on your multicart? One of the best 2D fighting games ever made. When debating the best fighter on the Neo Geo, Mark of the Wolves is the one I see at the top of "best of" lists most often. That's saying a lot considering the competition. But it's the last entry in the Fatal Fury series on the Neo Geo so it makes sense. Might make for a good review.

Like jon mentioned Last Blade 1 & 2 are also top choices if you're looking for others to try, and Waku Waku 7 is another favorite. And jon, thanks for the heads up about Ultimate 11 - I love the Super Sidekicks series and didn't even realize there was a 4th entry.

crimefighter

Postby crimefighter » December 7th, 2020, 6:23 pm

Since you reviewed all the others are you going to do Samurai Showdown Six Tenkaichi Kenkakuden ?

http://www.aurcade.com/games/view.aspx?id=1729

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 7th, 2020, 7:40 pm

Samurai Shodown 6?!?! I had no idea!

Well, I don't think I have any choice at this point! Stay tuned!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 8th, 2020, 7:55 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Samurai Shodown 6?!?! I had no idea!

Well, I don't think I have any choice at this point! Stay tuned!

I don't think it got a Neo Geo release, but instead was on the Atomiswave arcade hardware. For a console release on physical media, there was just the PS2 release in Japan. Your best bet might be Samurai Shodown Anthology on PS2, which includes all of the first 6 games.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 8th, 2020, 4:45 pm

Thanks for the tip Retro. I have the Wii Anthology but I can't imagine playing those games on the Wii. Will need to revisit that. Also noticed I have a SSV review for the Xbox to revisit. I guess I'm not finished with the Samurai Shodown series - far from it!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 20th, 2020, 1:57 pm

Reviewing Samurai Shodown Anthology (PS2) recently gave me a bit more perspective on the series, so I slightly updated the reviews of these two games. I changed SS4 from an F to a D-, mainly because it's practically the same as SS5. I slightly updated some of the text in both. Nothing groundbreaking.

Return to “Review Feedback”