2020/12/4: Neo Geo: Samurai Shodown IV: Amakusa's Revenge, Samurai Shodown V

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
goldenband

Re: 2020/12/4: Neo Geo: Samurai Shodown IV: Amakusa's Revenge, Samurai Shodown V

Postby goldenband » December 20th, 2020, 2:28 pm

I love seeing these Neo Geo series get reviewed in their entirety. Do you think you'll ever do Art of Fighting 3?

It'd be great to see more Neo Geo console ports reviewed too, as you've done for Samurai Shodown (except the SNES version, but you did the Genesis, Sega CD, and 3DO versions).

They often have distinct differences -- and occasionally improvements: Art of Fighting on the Genesis actually controls much better than the original! But they screwed up by implementing limited continues (why?!), and the sound's not great.

Art of Fighting on the SNES is also interesting, as it resolves the plot cliffhanger and includes desperation attacks for all characters (not just Ryo and Robert). It looks nice too. But, the AI is vulnerable to a very simple tactic, and the control issues from the Neo Geo version are still present. I've never played Art of Fighting 2 on the SNES, no idea how it stacks up.

I've also been playing Fatal Fury Special on the Sega CD recently. Now there's a game that's vulnerable to a simple tactic -- you can just throw fireballs as Ryo (who's unlocked from the start) and you'll win every match easily! Limited continues here too, but braindead AI.

BTW there was an interesting tidbit about Samurai Shodown a while back. As I recall, when Crystal Dynamics did the 3DO port, they found out from SNK that all the button mashing you do in a clinch was totally meaningless, as the outcome was decided by RNG!

Return to “Review Feedback”