2020/12/6: Playstation 4: Octodad: Dadliest Catch (Guest Review), Samurai Shodown

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/12/6: Playstation 4: Octodad: Dadliest Catch (Guest Review), Samurai Shodown

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 6th, 2020, 9:36 am

Love to hear your thoughts on my latest PS4 reviews. This concludes my revisiting of the Samurai Shodown series.
Feedback please!

DaHeckIzDat

Re: 2020/12/6: Playstation 4: Octodad: Dadliest Catch (Guest Review), Samurai Shodown

Postby DaHeckIzDat » December 6th, 2020, 3:11 pm

Quick note on the Octodad review: the last sentence should be "more than worth the price".

Retro STrife

Re: 2020/12/6: Playstation 4: Octodad: Dadliest Catch (Guest Review), Samurai Shodown

Postby Retro STrife » December 6th, 2020, 10:03 pm

That’s too bad to hear that Samurai Shodown got such a weak reboot.

And thanks for the excellent Octodad review DaHeck. I think your review was spot on. I’ve played that one - I bought it on sale for like $5 on PSN (it goes on a sale a lot). I bought it based on the hilarious premise that sounds like something straight out of an SNL skit.. an octopus pretends to be a human, and despite clearly being not human, all of the humans around him are completely oblivious. That running joke is really what carries the game, and it’s strong enough to pull you to the finish line. The gameplay on the other hand is just plain bad IMO, with the clumsy octopus movement being both a blessing (for the humor it creates) and a curse (since you’re fighting with the controls the whole game). I think mastering the tricky controls is supposed to be part of the experience, but it just wasn’t for me. I didn’t have the same fortitude as you and quit after an hour or two. Still, for laughs alone, I got my $5’s worth.

jon

Postby jon » December 8th, 2020, 2:33 pm

I couldn’t help but laugh seeing the load times icon for Samurai Shodown. I thought after the PS1 there wouldn’t be load times, like maybe it was a sacrifice we had to make for 1 generation. Oh well, I’m all about cartridges anyways.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 9th, 2020, 8:05 pm

jon wrote:I couldn’t help but laugh seeing the load times icon for Samurai Shodown. I thought after the PS1 there wouldn’t be load times, like maybe it was a sacrifice we had to make for 1 generation. Oh well, I’m all about cartridges anyways.

You're right - we always assumed load times would improve but in fact they seem to have gotten much worse. In fact, when you consider the time to install, patch, and load combined, gamers are waiting longer to play than ever before. The only thing more astounding that this is the fact that nobody seems to complain except me!

Fortunately the next generation of systems (PS5) is supposed to help address this issue. Fingers crossed!

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 10th, 2020, 2:55 am

What I like about your reviews it your stand point. Basically people need understand that you see it from the historical perspective of when games were fun. Love the idea of the arcade mode. I am not much into fighting games but I like how you reviewed the neo geo ones so you could review this one.

Return to “Review Feedback”