2020/12/9: Playstation: Gunners Heaven (Japan), Tokyo Highway Battle

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/12/9: Playstation: Gunners Heaven (Japan), Tokyo Highway Battle

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 9th, 2020, 4:19 pm

Check out these fascinating new Playstation One reviews. Let's hear your thoughts.

Retro STrife

Re: 2020/12/9: Playstation: Gunners Heaven (Japan), Tokyo Highway Battle

Postby Retro STrife » December 10th, 2020, 8:16 am

Never heard of either of these. Thanks especially for reviewing Gunners Heaven - too bad it didn't make it stateside.

Your description of Tokyo Highway Battle reminds me a lot of the Tokyo Xtreme Racer series on Dreamcast, which I played years back based on seeing them in your reviews. Those were some great games that really got me addicted. One question- toward the end you say "It's better than Ridge Racer but that almost goes without saying." Is that in reference to the game itself being better, or the music? I first read it to mean the game, but then I saw that you gave RR a much better score. So now I'm assuming you mean the music. Anyway, now I'm curious.

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » December 10th, 2020, 12:42 pm

Great reveiws, enjoyed reading them both.

Checking the site daily for an updated Christmas Games spectacular :D

I've already started playing the Atari 2600 Xmas homebrews, also Daze Before Christmas (Genesis) and Christmas Crisis (CDi) usually wait until Xmas before i pop in Christmas Knights Into Dreams for Saturn. Looking forward to it!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 10th, 2020, 3:52 pm

Retro -
I was definitely referring to the soundtrack. I will reword that part so people don't get confused.

Travis -
Were you looking for anything new in particular in the Christmas special?

goldenband

Postby goldenband » December 10th, 2020, 4:22 pm

Love seeing reviews of little-known and import PS1 games! I've got a copy of Gunners Heaven, or is it Rapid Reload? Don't remember which but I keep meaning to play it.

It's a shame there's no good way to play PAL exclusives on an unmodded PS1, as I've found a few I quite like, but you have to use a boot disk to force the game into 60Hz mode.

One game that wasn't published in the US, but was available in Europe and Japan (so you can play it on any NTSC PS1), is the piquantly-named Buttsubushi.

No, it's not a game about butts and sushi, or a bushy butt, or a Subaru with a tattoo of a butt with a butt on it (settle down, Beavis). Instead, it's a kind of cross between Bomberman and Pengo, though that doesn't really do it justice. The main game mode is OK, but the 100-level puzzle mode is crazy addictive if you like that kind of thing!

Also, I've been digging the PAL-exclusive Action Man: Destruction X. It's a sequel to an earlier Action Man game, which I believe was published in the US, but I haven't played that one. This sequel is sort of like Grand Theft Auto for kids, pretty easy but somehow really fun. It's a tiny bit flaky at 60Hz, as some of the voiced dialogue cuts off early (though subtitles are present), but otherwise works well.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 11th, 2020, 9:24 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Travis -
Were you looking for anything new in particular in the Christmas special?

Any new games in the works this year? I know it's tough to find new ones, so there might not be. Either way, might be good to throw the link up on the main page to remind us of it, since it's that time of year. It's always nice to scroll through it again for ideas when Christmas rolls around.

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » December 11th, 2020, 3:41 pm

Yep; you pretty much have your bases covered.

Have their been any NES homebrew Christmas games other than the light up cart?

Yeah just up on the main page would be nice; i always scroll through it a good 6-8 times to make sure i'm playing all the Xmas games i can be!

Must be some handheld Xmas games you haven't played.

Would be nice to be able to review Holiday Lemmings but sadly it was never released with any of the home console ports (that i'm aware of.)

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » December 14th, 2020, 8:09 am

Just came to me over the weekend: Christmas levels.

Fully Christmas themed games are somewhat rare; but Christmas levels can be found all over the place. Could do a section of "Great Christmas Levels" in the Xmas special section.

My initial contribution: Freezeezy Peak from Banjo Kazooie; awesome Xmas level.

pwooten

Postby pwooten » December 17th, 2020, 2:17 pm

travistouchdown wrote:Yep; you pretty much have your bases covered.

Have their been any NES homebrew Christmas games other than the light up cart?

Yeah just up on the main page would be nice; i always scroll through it a good 6-8 times to make sure i'm playing all the Xmas games i can be!

Must be some handheld Xmas games you haven't played.

Would be nice to be able to review Holiday Lemmings but sadly it was never released with any of the home console ports (that i'm aware of.)

Batman Returns on SNES has the first level as a Christmas theme if I remember correctly.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » December 21st, 2020, 4:33 am

Definitely need to add Gunners Heaven/Rapid Reload to never ending list of games to play.

It’s a shame the PS1 era was so anti 2D - it wasn’t just Sony, I remember loads of people being like it. Even in magazines from the time anything 2D was almost immediately scored lower as if it showed a lack of effort to keep with the times.

In UK Official PlayStation Magazine one of the Street Fighter Alpha games got a 9/10 but in brackets said to consider it a 10/10 if 2D didn’t bother you. I think Symphony of the Night only got a 7!!

When GTA got a reputation around my school it was always a great game despite being 2D.

Return to “Review Feedback”