2020/12/12: Jaguar: Fast Food 64: Holiday Snacks (CD)

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/12/12: Jaguar: Fast Food 64: Holiday Snacks (CD)

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 12th, 2020, 9:25 am

Here's a new Christmas home brew review for your reading enjoyment.
Not the best game, but at least it's seasonally correct!
Chime in with your comments.

goldenband

Re: 2020/12/12: Jaguar: Fast Food 64: Holiday Snacks (CD)

Postby goldenband » December 12th, 2020, 2:24 pm

I quite liked Fast Food as a kid, and it was a popular game around my house.

I just wish so many Jaguar homebrews (not all!) didn't give off such a "mediocre mid-1990s shareware on a CD-ROM compilation that came with a magazine" vibe.

If you still need a snow level fix after Christmas, I said this before, but Rescue Copter on the PS1 is a good time. A hair-pulling good time, mind you, but a good time. Just be sure to play it on Easy...

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 13th, 2020, 5:29 am

Thanks for reviewing this Critic. Look at the power of the Atari Jaguar. At one time it was the most powerful games console in the WORLD. Something that no one can deny. The 3do was a mulitmedia platform and not to be used exclusively for games.

I always loved fast food. Such a great game. This one does not look amazing but does seem to be a good addition to the Atari Jag 64 software library.

jon

Postby jon » December 14th, 2020, 2:39 pm

I'll always wonder what the Jaguar was capable of. It's best chance of doing something much better than what was released was probably for the CD. I don't think they had big enough teams to push the system. I'm not one of those people that think it was untapped and that it was capable of a ton more. But I do think they could've built upon games like I-War and Skyhammer and Hover Strike to make fun games with better graphics and frame rates.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 14th, 2020, 3:39 pm

I think the Jaguar probably had enough power to run 32X-caliber games, which was not too shabby for that era. Compared to the Saturn or Playstation however you can forget it.

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » December 15th, 2020, 8:47 am

The games that most show off the 2D hardware of Jag are Rayman and Ultra Vortek. The 3D hardware is best shown off by Skyhammer and Battlemorph.

Wave 1 games and the Fast Food series are not the pinnacle of the Jaguar Homebrew games; that would be CJ, Reboot and a handful of others who are making incredible original games as well as porting the best of the best Atari ST games.

That being said i have a friend locally who has Fast Food for Jaguar (the original one) and he says it's a reasonably fun distraction for what it is (simple mini-game type game.)

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 18th, 2020, 5:05 pm

Good to see this one! Fast Food was a favorite of mine growing up on the 2600, so I was kinda psyched for this homebrew. Fast Food would seem pretty easily to replicate.. sucks to see they screwed it up.

From my readings over at Atari Age, Wave 1 is not a well-respected homebrewer (and that's coming from a forum over there that is usually friendly to homebrewers). There's a lot of disappointment with rushed, unfinished product being sold, and plagiarism of code from other homebrewers. Still, somehow I still like seeing a new game coming out for the Jag, even with all those caveats.

Return to “Review Feedback”