2021/1/10: NES: Bump N Jump, Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
goldenband
Posts: 486
Joined: April 8th, 2015, 10:29 pm

Re: 2021/1/10: NES: Bump N Jump, Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth

Postby goldenband » January 12th, 2021, 2:42 pm

Yeah, the Gyruss review is an odd one. I wouldn't describe the game as "easy", though in fairness a lot of it is relatively doable, and when it's not it tends to err on the side of cheapness. Still, I was able to beat it recently after only 2-3 attempts.

mbd36
Posts: 312
Joined: April 18th, 2015, 10:32 am

Re: 2021/1/10: NES: Bump N Jump, Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth

Postby mbd36 » January 12th, 2021, 3:12 pm

goldenband wrote:Yeah, the Gyruss review is an odd one. I wouldn't describe the game as "easy", though in fairness a lot of it is relatively doable, and when it's not it tends to err on the side of cheapness. Still, I was able to beat it recently after only 2-3 attempts.


The second loop is supposed to be a lot tougher as well. I haven't tried it yet.

User avatar
ASalvaro
Posts: 196
Joined: May 24th, 2019, 11:51 pm

Re: 2021/1/10: NES: Bump N Jump, Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth

Postby ASalvaro » January 16th, 2021, 1:16 pm

just spent some time playing the NES Bump N Jump and in my opinion the Intellivision version is way better
the Intellivision version is faster and has way more charm than the NES version does

mbd36
Posts: 312
Joined: April 18th, 2015, 10:32 am

Re: 2021/1/10: NES: Bump N Jump, Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth

Postby mbd36 » January 16th, 2021, 5:00 pm

ASalvaro wrote:just spent some time playing the NES Bump N Jump and in my opinion the Intellivision version is way better
the Intellivision version is faster and has way more charm than the NES version does


I love the NES version. It's a nice challenge to actually try to clear all 16 levels.

The Intellivision version looks fun too. It looks more faithful to the arcade.

User avatar
ASalvaro
Posts: 196
Joined: May 24th, 2019, 11:51 pm

Re: 2021/1/10: NES: Bump N Jump, Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth

Postby ASalvaro » January 17th, 2021, 3:01 am

mbd36 wrote:
ASalvaro wrote:just spent some time playing the NES Bump N Jump and in my opinion the Intellivision version is way better
the Intellivision version is faster and has way more charm than the NES version does


I love the NES version. It's a nice challenge to actually try to clear all 16 levels.

The Intellivision version looks fun too. It looks more faithful to the arcade.


Interesting fact about the Intellivision version
"
DEVELOPMENT HISTORY

One day, Mattel Electronics was contacted by a couple of guys from New Jersey, Joe Jacobs and Dennis Clark, with startling information: they had hooked up a PlayCable unit to a personal computer and made their own Intellivision development system. They demonstrated that they had figured out how to program Intellivision games quite well, and they wanted to offer their services to Mattel before going to some other company. Ah, blackmail is such an ugly word...

To keep them away from the competition, Mattel contracted with them to program the Intellivision version of the arcade game Bump 'N' Jump. They, under the name Technology Associates, were paid $24,000 for the conversion.

David Warhol (Mind Strike) served as liaison, giving technical assistance as needed. Except for the title screen graphics by Daisy Nguyen, all the work was done in New Jersey, in one of the programmers' basements; they weren't invited to Mattel headquarters."

Tron
Posts: 631
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 8:02 pm

Re: 2021/1/10: NES: Bump N Jump, Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth

Postby Tron » January 18th, 2021, 5:45 am

mbd36 wrote:
ASalvaro wrote:just spent some time playing the NES Bump N Jump and in my opinion the Intellivision version is way better
the Intellivision version is faster and has way more charm than the NES version does


I love the NES version. It's a nice challenge to actually try to clear all 16 levels.

The Intellivision version looks fun too. It looks more faithful to the arcade.



I remember enjoying the intellevision Bump N Jump much more than the NES version as well. I never got to compare them side-by-side. It was one of my favorite Intellevision games, but I barely played the NES version. Nice to see that others share the same feelings. I wasn’t sure why I didn’t like NES version. It was several years after the last time I played the Intellevison that I finally played the NES. I figured maybe my tastes had just changed or that I overplayed it on the Intellevison and that’s why the NES version left me disappointed.


Return to “Review Feedback”