Updated Winter Gaming Special

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Updated Winter Gaming Special

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 6th, 2021, 10:55 am

I did it! Plenty more reviews and an attractive graphic at the top. Let me know what you think!

https://videogamecritic.com/extras/themes/winter.htm

PS: Calling for more snow tonight in MD!

LuckyWDFN

Re: Updated Winter Gaming Special

Postby LuckyWDFN » February 6th, 2021, 11:07 am

Great work! Don't forget PS2's Motorstorm: Arctic Edge. I bought this off of VGC recommendation years ago and manage to dig it out every winter. I've been having a blast with it the past few weeks as the snow has been piling up where I live.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 6th, 2021, 11:47 am

Good call Lucky! I'm putting that review at the very top! Thanks.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 6th, 2021, 11:50 am

I'm told that Winter Gold for the SNES is great. I noticed it was just released in Europe in PAL format. I suppose it would run on my Retron 5 though.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » February 6th, 2021, 12:57 pm

Steep slope sliders on the Sega Saturn. Truly an awesome game.

I was wondering if Distracted Driver 2 the Snowmobile edition was going to feature strongly in it but no. I am surprised about that one. One of the best games on ps4 got a sequel so I hear. It might have a reveal in early April....

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » February 6th, 2021, 1:07 pm

A winter gaming collection of games is a nice idea.

You haven't reviewed it, but I love trudging through the forests and hills in Horizon Zero Dawn's Frozen Wilds area.

FW3.jpg
FW3.jpg (35.61 KiB) Viewed 179 times

goldenband

Postby goldenband » February 6th, 2021, 2:09 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm told that Winter Gold for the SNES is great. I noticed it was just released in Europe in PAL format. I suppose it would run on my Retron 5 though.

Careful -- I seem to remember that there may be an issue with the game's timer running too fast and making races unwinnable if you're running at NTSC and 60Hz (instead of the 50Hz refresh rate used in most PAL regions except Brazil). If true, that would affect real hardware, but I'm not sure if the Retron 5 could switch into PAL mode for the occasion.

I really want to play this game and I know there's a NTSC prototype but I don't think it's been dumped. And I'd love to see your review of it as I agree, it looks really cool! Lots of Super FX action going on there, including an astounding title sequence.

By the way don't sleep on the winter sequences in Rescue Copter for the PS1, which starts out sunny but includes a fair amount of snowy alpine action. Nice, cheap game too. Just be sure to play on Easy, as Expert is a nightmare to control (Easy is already tricky enough).

EDIT: Here's a quote about Winter Gold:

"With regards to the Winter Gold, the patch enables the game to boot on NTSC devices (the SNES mini is one, in all regions). However the timing of the game is off, the computer players times are unbeatable. If I speed up the FX chip in the game through emulation by x1.25 or maybe x1.5 then their times become approachable. So this makes me think that CPU "ai" (time generator) code would need to be changed (slowed down) by a similar factor as the increased speed of the game."

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » February 6th, 2021, 3:01 pm

One of the funniest winter games is a never formally released game called "Snowball Fight" for the Atari 800. I took the ROM and made a cartridge out of it using the AtariMax a few years back (along with a bunch of other ROMS). It looks horrible but it's some of the best 2-player fun you can have on an Atari.

Basically, you just try to pelt your friend with snowballs until his health meter runs out. It sounds stupid, but the physics of the game are top-notch. You can make tiny snow balls quickly, or giant ones that do a lot of damage but are difficult to throw far. You can also control how hard you throw. It's very easy to learn after just messing around with it for a minute or so. The fluctuating wind is a major factor. You can also build a fort or a wall out of snow.

If you hit your opponent perfectly, you can take him out with one shot and he'll run off the screen with a funny phrase like "eye gouged out" or "bad bruise". The action of the game is fast & intense

VGC, if you had a few friends over and a few beers in you... you'd pass out laughing playing this game

Here's a sample of it, but it's hard to show the game with just the 1 player playing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c-HcP_VxoQ

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » February 6th, 2021, 4:18 pm

Nice job on the update. I have fond memories of playing video games while being snowed in growing up in upstate NY. Basically during a snow day we would all play outside until we were frozen and then pile into somebody's house, have some hot cocoa and whatever other goodies we could get our hands on while huddling around whatever video game machine one had. Typically it was the C-64 and while defrosting we would play strategy games like Crusade in Europe or Multiplayer (funny, we didn't call it that back in the day!) games like Winter or World Games. My buddy across the street had an Intelivision so we played games like B-17 Bomber and Major League Baseball constantly. Good times. During my middle school years we would play marathon sessions of Dungeon and Dragons while being snowed in. Oh the good old days, they went by quick but as they say "youth is wasted on the young" (or something like that!).

Return to “Review Feedback”