2021/2/14: Super Nintendo: Prince of Persia, Untouchables, The

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2021/2/14: Super Nintendo: Prince of Persia, Untouchables, The

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 14th, 2021, 8:28 am

These are two reviews I've had in the works for some time. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Zack Burner

Re: 2021/2/14: Super Nintendo: Prince of Persia, Untouchables, The

Postby Zack Burner » February 14th, 2021, 9:57 am

Alright, long overdue reviews. In the Untouchables, did you get to the 4th stage? In that one you're Sean Connery using a Tommy Gun on thugs, I always thought that was the most fun of the bunch. As for Prince of Persia, I guess I accept you C- grade, considering the controls are a little stiff, yet everything else is gold. I liked the 4 armed giant boss in one stage, and I love the mystic Middle Eastern music. The problem is it's too hard!

goldenband

Postby goldenband » February 14th, 2021, 3:53 pm

"Untouchables is three games in one, most of which you'll have no desire to play twice." - did you give yourself a high-five after coming up with that line? :D

Too bad you didn't like Prince of Persia very much, but my sense is that you're just not the biggest fan of slow, methodical games (see also: Gain Ground) so I guess it was predictable that no version of the game would really do it for you. Personally I loved the SNES version -- it was such an atmospheric and demanding experience, and pretty jaw-dropping at the time of release.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » February 14th, 2021, 6:09 pm

My reaction:

“Yes! He FINALLY reviewed Prince of Per—wha???? C-?! How could one of my favorite games of all time get a C-?!”

Seriously, though, I guess I get it. It is a very challenging, often frustrating game that is very unforgiving. I’ve beaten it at least a dozen times, and even I get hung up in spots. I feel it is an extraordinarily well-designed, atmospheric game.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 15th, 2021, 12:29 pm

I'm intrigued by Prince of Persia on SNES since you say it's the best console version. But still, I think I'd be in the same boat as you, Critic. The other versions of PoP that I've played (including Sega CD and a couple old computer versions) are just too unforgiving -- not just the difficulty (like random traps and unfair fights), but the platforming controls too. Does the SNES version suffer from the same "momentum" physics that make walking, running, and jumping a precarious affair on the other versions? I want to love Prince of Persia, but any time I try it I end up thinking it was just a product of its time and too many games have improved the formula since then.

As for Untouchables, I've never heard of that one. Is it a light gun game or do you just aim and shoot with the controller? I was unsure from the review, although there's no light gun icon so I assume controller.

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » February 15th, 2021, 2:03 pm

Prince of Persia is best played on an Apple IIGS or LCIII in your grade school homeroom classroom.

The game blew me away as a kid but i'm thinking maybe it hasn't aged so well on any platform...

VicViper

Postby VicViper » February 15th, 2021, 3:04 pm

Retro STrife wrote:I'm intrigued by Prince of Persia on SNES since you say it's the best console version. But still, I think I'd be in the same boat as you, Critic. The other versions of PoP that I've played (including Sega CD and a couple old computer versions) are just too unforgiving -- not just the difficulty (like random traps and unfair fights), but the platforming controls too. Does the SNES version suffer from the same "momentum" physics that make walking, running, and jumping a precarious affair on the other versions? I want to love Prince of Persia, but any time I try it I end up thinking it was just a product of its time and too many games have improved the formula since then.

As for Untouchables, I've never heard of that one. Is it a light gun game or do you just aim and shoot with the controller? I was unsure from the review, although there's no light gun icon so I assume controller.

The SNES game has harder level design than the versions that ape the original.

A lot of them ARE broken granted which makes them inherently more difficult, though the Sega CD version isn't one of them, that one is pretty much pitch perfect in controls and has a speed setting in the menu where you can either speed up or slow down gameplay to your liking.

In a few random spots on the SNES version (very VERY rare, like 2 or 3 in the whole game at most), the clinging on ledge doesn't work above some unfortunately deadly spikes or high above the ground, but that's pretty much the extent of "brokeness" in this version. (with some framerate dips on the conveyor belts with some action happening at the same time)

Otherwise the controls are the exact same, barring that you got a dedicated "jump forward" button (B by default) that also doubles as a cling-on button IIRC.

Hagane

Postby Hagane » February 17th, 2021, 7:36 am

While not perfect, the SNES version is the one people tend to recommend if you want to play the classic Prince of Persia.

Return to “Review Feedback”