2021/2/17: Sega Master System: Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic Chaos

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2021/2/17: Sega Master System: Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic Chaos

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 17th, 2021, 6:40 pm

I think these Sega Master System Sonic reviews may stir up some controversy. What say you?!

Retro STrife

Re: 2021/2/17: Sega Master System: Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic Chaos

Postby Retro STrife » February 17th, 2021, 7:19 pm

I'll kick off the controversy.. Sonic 2 is better than Sonic 1 on the SMS! Yeah, they're both a stepdown from the Genesis games, but I thought Sonic 2 improved a lot of the flaws from Sonic 1. And I don't recall having all the headaches you did.

As for Sonic Chaos, I've played the Game Gear port but not the SMS version. It looks good though!

VicViper

Postby VicViper » February 18th, 2021, 5:49 am

Retro STrife wrote:I'll kick off the controversy.. Sonic 2 is better than Sonic 1 on the SMS! Yeah, they're both a stepdown from the Genesis games, but I thought Sonic 2 improved a lot of the flaws from Sonic 1. And I don't recall having all the headaches you did.

As for Sonic Chaos, I've played the Game Gear port but not the SMS version. It looks good though!

I'll continue the controversy in saying that Sonic Chaos is a complete non-presence. It has little to no challenge, and the level design doesn't stick out at all. It's also stupid short, way too many of the levels can be breezed through casually in under 40 seconds.
The Chaos Emeralds are the only thing worth a mention, and still that doesn't change that the main levels are an absolute joke. It looks good, but that's really the only thing going for it.

Whether Sonic 2 SMS is better than Sonic 1 SMS is subject to debate, but I have absolutely no doubt that both of those games are better than Sonic Chaos by a long shot.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » February 18th, 2021, 8:16 am

I never had these games on the SMS but they look really dull. The critics review of part 2 makes it sound like it was a chore playing it. I hate those platformers. SC looks better but by this time the megadrive was out making both of those games pointless. GG was not much cop either.

I bet everyone was so happy when the only decent platform game of its generation came out... Buzby on the Atari Jaguar.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 18th, 2021, 9:09 am

BlasteroidAli wrote:I never had these games on the SMS but they look really dull. The critics review of part 2 makes it sound like it was a chore playing it.

Part of the trouble, too, is that it's hard to play them without thinking of the Genesis games. They don't stack up to that standard, so it's a set-up for disappointment. But by Master System standards, I think they're solid platformers. Viewed in that vacuum, I prefer them over most other SMS platformers.

But I think part of my interest in them is that it wasn't until like 2010 that I even learned Sonic had Master System games. So when I played them, I came at them from the perspective of "whoa, this is cool seeing Sonic on an earlier Sega system".. it felt like I was playing a weird homebrew some hobbyist dreamed up. I imagine if I had played it in 1992, my thought would be closer to "what is the point of this stupidity and why is it destroying Sonic..."

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 18th, 2021, 9:17 am

This controversy is raging so hard I'm afraid it's going to bring down the entire internet!

In the back of my mind I wonder if playing a European import on my American Master System is somehow messing with the timing of the controls?? I've seen others complain about that hang glider, but I can't imagine everybody who bought this game experienced this much grief.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 18th, 2021, 9:23 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:In the back of my mind I wonder if playing a European import on my American Master System is somehow messing with the timing of the controls?? I've seen others complain about that hang glider, but I can't imagine everybody who bought this game experienced this much grief.

I haven't played the games in a couple years, but maybe I'll try to give them a go to refresh my memory. But I played Sonic 2 on a US system too. And since Sonic 2 is import-only, all the copies are meant for PAL. And, at least from my memory, I don't think I had any major issues like that.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » February 18th, 2021, 11:57 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I think these Sega Master System Sonic reviews may stir up some controversy. What say you?!

Need to rereview the GG versions in light of the MS versions; Sonic 2 MS is far more playable than the GG version due to no blur, slightly more fair bosses and more viewable screen space.

That said, I laughed at reading the review; I like Sonic 2 GG from a nostalgic perspective, but it is NOT a good Sonic game.

pwooten

Postby pwooten » February 19th, 2021, 9:28 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:This controversy is raging so hard I'm afraid it's going to bring down the entire internet!

In the back of my mind I wonder if playing a European import on my American Master System is somehow messing with the timing of the controls?? I've seen others complain about that hang glider, but I can't imagine everybody who bought this game experienced this much grief.

I was under the impression the PAL and US cartridges themselves were the same, but the 50 / 60 hz for PAL vs NTSC comes from the master system itself. I've imported a fair number of PAL cartridges to play on my NTSC master system and haven't noticed timing issues that led me to believe the game was playing faster than designed or anything like that. I tried googling, and found this post that seems to support that few (if any) PAL releases were PAL optimized on the cartridge itself: https://www.smspower.org/forums/15255-D ... RealPALSMS

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » February 19th, 2021, 9:36 am

VicViper wrote:I'll continue the controversy in saying that Sonic Chaos is a complete non-presence. It has little to no challenge...

Neither do the Kirby games. And games like Aria of Sorrow are only a challenge if you handicap yourself.

But they still have their place. Sometimes, I just need a bit of zen, and games like this are a good way to relax before saving Princess Prin Prin's soul again. (I can't just relax by doing nothing - it'd drive me mad.)

Return to “Review Feedback”