2021/2/17: Sega Master System: Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic Chaos

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
MSR1701

Re: 2021/2/17: Sega Master System: Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic Chaos

Postby MSR1701 » February 19th, 2021, 9:51 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:
VicViper wrote:I'll continue the controversy in saying that Sonic Chaos is a complete non-presence. It has little to no challenge...

Neither do the Kirby games. And games like Aria of Sorrow are only a challenge if you handicap yourself.

But they still have their place. Sometimes, I just need a bit of zen, and games like this are a good way to relax before saving Princess Prin Prin's soul again. (I can't just relax by doing nothing - it'd drive me mad.)

Aria of Sorrow can be a challenge if you bull your way thru without finding items or souls. Though admittedly I play more Rando AoS of late to relax

VicViper

Postby VicViper » February 19th, 2021, 4:30 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:
VicViper wrote:I'll continue the controversy in saying that Sonic Chaos is a complete non-presence. It has little to no challenge...

Neither do the Kirby games. And games like Aria of Sorrow are only a challenge if you handicap yourself.

But they still have their place. Sometimes, I just need a bit of zen, and games like this are a good way to relax before saving Princess Prin Prin's soul again. (I can't just relax by doing nothing - it'd drive me mad.)

The Kirby games have somewhat of a level design and strong gameplay to hold everything together. Kirby might be easy, but they have depth, and they tend to have a decent amount of content.

Sonic Chaos doesn't have any of those strong points. At all.

When I say levels take under 40 seconds to finish casually, I do mean it. If you even get slightly fast, you can do most of them in around or under 20 seconds, it's to the point where levels can get shorter than the time you spend in the end-level results!

Sonic Chaos is a game you can finish in 15-20 minutes on a straight line, add 10-15 mins for Chaos Emeralds. (and the "good ending" is about as superfluous as Sonic 1's, if not moreso)
It's especially bad when you barely do anything in the levels themselves, in Mecha Green Hill Zone Act 1 for example, you take a spring, then rocket boots, then run to the right with zero obstacle, and you've reached the goal in under 20 seconds, and that's a midgame stage. It's embarrassingly shallow.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » February 19th, 2021, 5:25 pm

VicViper wrote:
Sonic Chaos is a game you can finish in 15-20 minutes on a straight line, add 10-15 mins for Chaos Emeralds. (and the "good ending" is about as superfluous as Sonic 1's, if not moreso)
It's especially bad when you barely do anything in the levels themselves, in Mecha Green Hill Zone Act 1 for example, you take a spring, then rocket boots, then run to the right with zero obstacle, and you've reached the goal in under 20 seconds, and that's a midgame stage. It's embarrassingly shallow.

I see it as: Sonic Chaos is the Sonic game people imagine, when they've never played a Sonic game.

The entire game, absent the stage gimmicks, is like Green Hill zone.

And I don't mind that. I think one game should be for beginners. Out of all the 8-bit titles, it's probably the one I've played the least - I turned my nose up at it when I was younger. But now? When I don't always know how much spare time I'll have, and I want a quick bit of nostalgic good cheer?

It'll serve that purpose, every now and then, until someone ports Nights to the Switch.

Return to “Review Feedback”