2021/3/10: 3DO: Off-World Interceptor, Blade Force

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2021/3/10: 3DO: Off-World Interceptor, Blade Force

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 10th, 2021, 7:22 pm

Two more 3DO reviews for your enjoyment. Note the new style! Thoughts?

matmico399

Re: 2021/3/10: 3DO: Off-World Interceptor, Blade Force

Postby matmico399 » March 10th, 2021, 7:55 pm

Blade Force makes me glad I never invested in 3DO although I was tempted. Solid reviews.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » March 10th, 2021, 8:11 pm

I like the new reviews. Not a dramatic change in length, just get a little more flavor from you, which is a good thing. I like the paragraphs, too.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » March 10th, 2021, 9:38 pm

I still don't understand your insistence that a power-up that makes your enemies weaker is somehow a fatal flaw. That gameplay mechanic dates back to Pac-Man. Where's your respect for history? ;)

With that said, the paragraph breaks really help the readability, and you do a great job of breaking down the gameplay flaws of a game that was briefly hyped as the 3DO's best chance of competing with the Saturn and Playstation.

Plus, your other review has the best ending I've seen in a long time.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » March 10th, 2021, 9:45 pm

I never got to play a 3d0 and looking at these two titles I can see that god was smiling on me. The first one looks fun but the frame rate issue is a problem. Though it still does look good fun. Bladeforce looks awful. So it is good to see that both games look and play like you think they are going to.

I would still like to play offworld interceptor.

I love the new paragraphs. When you elongated your reviews the huge block of text used to put me off reading it sometimes.

Good reviews, punchy and upbeat. they explain the problems with the games so well. Looking forward to your review of afterburner on the NES.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » March 11th, 2021, 10:48 am

I owned both of these back in the 90s. Both scores are accurate. Off World Interceptor is like a Roger Corman B flick. It doesn’t have a single original idea, the budget is non-existent, but it somehow manages to hold your attention far longer than it should.

Blade Force legit makes me want to throw up. Fifteen minutes with that game and my stomach is churning. The only other game that gave me worse motion sickness was Metroid Prime 1. In MP1 case, I was legit bummed though. Blade Force is ambitious, but best left to obscurity.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 11th, 2021, 12:11 pm

Eek! I'm half excited about these reviews, because I love a new 3DO review and I've touted both of these games on the forums before. And I'm half bummed that I may have contributed to you suffering through Blade Force! (By the way, either way, the paragraphs look good!)

I actually disagree about Blade Force. Especially the dreaded F-. Back in the 90s, I think Blade Force's reputation had a lot to do with it being technically impressive.. IMO the controls and camera are truly excellent by early 3D standards, and the graphics are top-tier for the 3DO. I think it's a showcase title, not just for the 3DO, but for early 3D console games in general (especially the camera). But the problem is it can't get by on those qualities anymore, and its gameplay just doesn't have anything to offer. I first played Blade Force in 2020, so I see it from that perspective. My biggest gripe was the total lack of direction about where to go and what to do, which left me perpetually stuck in Level 1. Sounds like you ran into the same issue. But still, I think it has enough going for it to make it worth a try, at least compared to the 3DO library. And flying around blowing stuff up is still fun for an hour or two, despite the confusion over where to go. Personally, I'd give it more like a C.

As for Off World Interceptor, I agree with that one. In terms of weird games, it's one of my personal favorites. That's thanks to the FMV scenes of course, which star comics Brian Posehn and Doug Benson (then young and unknown), and which are pretty hilarious. You could tell me these are the best FMV scenes of all-time, and I wouldn't give you any push-back. I like that you mention the mystery of "what came first?".. I agree with you that the comedic riffs were probably added after they realized the scenes were completely ridiculous.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » March 11th, 2021, 12:21 pm

Glad to see these, and to knock two more games off the list! I've always meant to put some time into Blade Force but hearing that it can be the cause of motion sickness certainly gives me pause.

As for Off-World Interceptor it always seemed like the sadder cousin of Total Eclipse but I want to give it the time it deserves someday, and it'd be a good one to watch in the living room so my wife can be amused by the FMVs...

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » March 11th, 2021, 12:23 pm

I love the paragraphs! Well done! They make reading the reviews so much more enjoyable.

Much appreciated

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 12th, 2021, 11:16 pm

I missed these reviews when they were first posted (always happy to see some 3DO love!) but I have to chime in.

Blade Force is *such* a sore subject for me. Back in the day, Game Players magazine (one of my favorites, mostly for it's less-than-serious style) gave the game something like a 92%. I read their review, saw the screenshots, and was determined to some day land a 3DO system for myself and give the game a go. A game that obscure, with a rating that high - it had to be some sort of forgotten gem, right?

No. No, it was not. After finally picking up a 3DO around a year or two ago, Blade Force was one of my first games, and boy, oh boy, did two-decades-plus of anticipation just go right down the tubes the instant I booted it up. I'm with JustLikeHeaven - I lasted around fifteen minutes before I had to tap out. Certain other 3DO games hold up very well (Road Rash, Crash N' Burn) but I just can't imagine that BF was ever any good to begin with. Not back in the 90s, and certainly not now.

What were the Game Players staff thinking when they wrote that review? Did The 3DO Company give them a free trip to Sea World, or something??

Return to “Review Feedback”