2021/3/13: Atari 2600: Moon Patrol, Moonsweeper

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2021/3/13: Atari 2600: Moon Patrol, Moonsweeper

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 13th, 2021, 12:07 pm

Let me know your thoughts on these updated Atari 2600 review.

My original Moon Patrol review was dated back to 6/1999 - making it one of my oldest. There wasn't much to it. The new review knocks down the grade from B+ to B-. One reason for the re-review is that a reader wrote it via email explaining how the difficulty switches are so screwed up. Not sure if that qualifies for the "bug" icon or not.

I re-reviewed Moonsweeper because I just reviewed the Colecovision version and used this as a basis of comparison. The new review is more insightful but knocks the grade down from B- to C+.

BlasteroidAli

Re: 2021/3/13: Atari 2600: Moon Patrol, Moonsweeper

Postby BlasteroidAli » March 14th, 2021, 1:22 pm

Two excellent games. Both an A plus. They really pushed the system back in the day. Playing Moon Patrol allowed me to progress in the arcade game.

I think you are being too hard on both games.

djc

Postby djc » March 15th, 2021, 12:21 am

If you look at the prototype screenshots of Moon Patrol at atariprotos, you will see that they really tried a number of different ways to get the look of the rover, backdrops, etc... right before settling on what the final version looks like.

It is interesting to see the progression of some of these games over time.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 15th, 2021, 6:05 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:Two excellent games. Both an A plus.

A+! Wow - I was waaaaaay off!

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » March 15th, 2021, 7:56 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
BlasteroidAli wrote:Two excellent games. Both an A plus.

A+! Wow - I was waaaaaay off!

They were so good back in the day. Jaw dropping graphics and amazing playability. I always have a thing for the Imagic games. Dragonfire, Demon Attack, Atlantis, Riddle of the sphinx, games that pushed the boundaries and were better than anything that were in the arcades. For me Moonsweeper was of that ilk. Just blew my mind when I first played it.

Also Moon Patrol was another of those games that I just played and played. Given the limitations of the system it was an amazing arcade conversion. Later on I got to experience it on the Atari 800xl so I found out it was even better on that. I guess you could say it is the nostalgia I feel for the system. There is still a lot of love in my heart for the atari VCS.

AtariToday

Postby AtariToday » March 16th, 2021, 8:27 am

both games are amazing! Moonsweeper getting downgraded is a bit of a shocker for me. I view a C+ rating as being slightly above average (maybe that's just my take) and Moonsweeper surpasses that for sure in my book - it's an A+ title for me as well. Great graphics, fun/solid gameplay, and certainly challenging enough for me to keep coming back to it.

Mr SQL

Postby Mr SQL » April 6th, 2021, 1:36 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Let me know your thoughts on these updated Atari 2600 review.

My original Moon Patrol review was dated back to 6/1999 - making it one of my oldest. There wasn't much to it. The new review knocks down the grade from B+ to B-. One reason for the re-review is that a reader wrote it via email explaining how the difficulty switches are so screwed up. Not sure if that qualifies for the "bug" icon or not.

Difficulty switch activates the awesome Moon Patrol theme included in the game!

Some people never realized it particularly after the difficulty switches were relocated behind the console.

Check out the Caesars Palace commercial with the Moon Patrol theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWn8cyUMDbg

I have to agree with the A rating from the other players, this is a really awesome game :)

Consider that when you reviewed it in 1999 there were no 32-bit Atari 2600 games designed to look like 8-bit productions, that leads to downgrading by comparison in the same category.

This is a real Atari game.

Return to “Review Feedback”