2021/3/16: NES: After Burner, X-Men

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
matmico399

Re: 2021/3/16: NES: After Burner, X-Men

Postby matmico399 » March 18th, 2021, 1:03 pm

Afterburner on the NES sounds interesting. But since I have the Genesis version I can't imagine this one being much fun. Rarely to me do graphics make the game a whole lot better, but to me this is an exception.

The other game and F-? That must be a huge piece of crapola. I played the original on Genesis and it was terrible. Punch kick repeat.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » March 18th, 2021, 1:19 pm

Here's an impassioned defense (sort of) of X-Men by Stan aka StanJr:

http://electricfrankfurter.blogspot.com ... r-nes.html

Having beaten the game a bunch of times myself, I've got a pretty good handle on its ups and downs. Some days it feels borderline playable, other days it's a nightmare. It's obviously broken in a bunch of ways, with some spectacularly stupid decisions like the forced AI companion, but in some other ways it comes close to being an OK game. I like the music, for example.

But then i get to Magneto's level, and there's that one spot that will just slaughter you as soon as you enter the room, unless you have good luck. Or there's the fact that you don't need to fight any of the bosses -- at all! You can just walk out on them!

By the way, two tricks. One, once you've completed the four main stages, you can bring all your teammates back to life by selecting the Practice stage again (you need a code, supplied in the manual, to quit practice). This helps with Magneto's stage, big time, since you get three attempts instead of just 1-2.

The other is that the endgame, long thought to be impossibly mysterious, is pretty easy to figure out if you pay attention to the red text that sometimes shows up in the end-of-level screens (which is triggered by killing a certain number of different-colored enemies, not that we had any way to know that). The code on the label isn't a typo -- it's deliberately incomplete, and meant to be combined with info you get from playing the game. I had no trouble making sense of all this as a kid, though I didn't know why I only got the red text sometimes.

The origins of this game are very mysterious. Whoever made it probably made the Famicom Disk System game Topple Zip. It seems likely that it was adapted from some other game in development that was reskinned at the last minute to be an X-Men game.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » March 20th, 2021, 2:32 pm

goldenband wrote:
The origins of this game are very mysterious. Whoever made it probably made the Famicom Disk System game Topple Zip. It seems likely that it was adapted from some other game in development that was reskinned at the last minute to be an X-Men game.

Wiki says "Developer(s) Possibly Bothtec or Pixel". So whoever made this awful game doesn't even want to take credit. :lol:

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » March 21st, 2021, 7:36 pm

I can remember renting X-men as a kid one weekend.

It was genuinely worse than Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom, which is really saying something. Because that is a really bad game that got way too much of my time as a kid.

X-men indeed warrants the F-. It is without a doubt one of the worse games I played when I was little. I grew up loving comic books and of course I liked X-Men.

This was one of those games that established 2 things for me: first that licensed games weren't often good, and that just because something was awesome in the arcade, doesn't mean it will be awesome at home. (Remember the awesome 6-player arcade cabinet?)

Certain games you play once and forget. Others leave an impact in their awfulness. This one left an imprint on me with it's terribleness.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » March 23rd, 2021, 12:34 pm

Yesterday, just out of morbid curiosity, I decided to give The Uncanny X-Men another go after not playing it for close to 30 years. I just wanted to see if it was really as bad as I remember. So I found the ROM for it online, downloaded it, ran it through my favorite NES emulator, then played it for a few minutes. And sure enough it was every bit as bad as I thought it was all those years ago. I do like the intro music, though, and the in game headshots of each X-Man look as they should. But from that point on it's downhill from there. Really a waste of a license, and that's a shame, to be honest.

incidentally, if any of you guys n gals want to check out another bad X-Man game, I suggest Wolverine, also for the NES. Now, that one is no where near as bad as the aforementioned Uncanny X-Men and is certainly playable. But it's also riddled with cheap hits up the yin yang. And get this. Whenever you use Wolverine's claws to fight your enemies, it TAKES AWAY SOME OF YOUR HEALTH!!!! What kind of play mechanic is that? That is beyond lousy, and reduces you to just using dinky little punches and kicks to fight back. Both which have a very limited range. Once again, another missed opportunity, and it makes me wonder what kind of games both would have turned out to be if a good company like Konami or Capcom were involved instead of whoever LJN decided to get to make both games for them...

goldenband

Postby goldenband » March 23rd, 2021, 6:46 pm

The way to play X-Men is essentially to farm for invincibility items all the time, non-stop. With that in hand the game becomes, I wouldn't say easy, but playable at least. But of course that's a pretty damning indictment.

Still, it wouldn't take that much to fix it. Dump the forced co-op, get rid of the magnet items, make the gun turrets destructible, close the boss loophole, rebalance the characters (Storm, Nightcrawler, and Iceman are far too weak), eliminate mid-screen enemy spawns, and add invincibility frames after a hit, and you're most of the way to...a mediocre-to-weak game, but one that's still more playable than many of the NES's worst.

Has anyone tried playing this game 2P? You'd have to have a very tolerant partner, but I think it'd be an easier play even so.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » March 30th, 2021, 9:44 pm

mbd36 wrote:
CharlieR wrote:This begs the question, has there been a good X-men game (besides the obvious arcade game?)

X-Men 2 for Genesis looks good.

The SNES Age of Apocalypse game is really enjoyable. Challenging without being too much, nice move sets. Every character is different, it has Psylocke. Not an A game but certainly C+/B- range and well worth giving a little bit of time too.

Added Edit: It's published by Capcom, so that can answer that question for you Lynchie

Return to “Review Feedback”