2021/4/15: Intellivision: Lady Bug, Dreadnaught Factor

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2021/4/15: Intellivision: Lady Bug, Dreadnaught Factor

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 15th, 2021, 4:17 pm

Let's hear your thoughts on these two brand new Intellivision reviews.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: 2021/4/15: Intellivision: Lady Bug, Dreadnaught Factor

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » April 15th, 2021, 4:56 pm

Whoever fantasized about their dream girl hiding in that ladybug sprite must have been behind the Yar's Revenge reboot.

Fortunately, they haven't touched the Centipede franchise. Yet.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » April 16th, 2021, 2:13 pm

Awesome to see these new Intellivision reviews. I feel like I put some time into Lady Bug at some point and enjoyed it but I'm drawing a blank on when. Maybe I got some decent high scores? When I try to think back on it, the music keeps playing in my head!

Haven't really played The Dreadnaught Factor that much but I found it technically impressive, though as I remember the systematic cleanup phase gets tedious, as you say.

Besides edutainment and board games (and the Chess game is actually very good BTW), not many original classic-era titles left to review. Just Blockade Runner, Fathom, Pole Position, Stadium Mud Buggies, Super Decathlon, and World Cup Soccer!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 16th, 2021, 2:45 pm

Great feedback goldenband. I was actually looking into reviewing Mud Buggies next, and discovered it was on my Intellivision Flashback console, happy to say.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 16th, 2021, 2:53 pm

For some reason looking at the image of Dreadnaught Factor makes me think of Uridium for the C64... odd.

Very interesting, I had heard of Dreadnaught Factor, and didn't know Lady Bug was as good as listed.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » April 16th, 2021, 5:24 pm

MSR1701 wrote:For some reason looking at the image of Dreadnaught Factor makes me think of Uridium for the C64... odd.

It's just the next evolution of the idea, isn't it? Along with the sequel and the recent Hyper Sentinel.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » April 17th, 2021, 8:05 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Great feedback goldenband. I was actually looking into reviewing Mud Buggies next, and discovered it was on my Intellivision Flashback console, happy to say.

Thanks -- and that's great news! Works out perfectly. If you ever decide you want a real cart, I got the Blue Sky Rangers re-release and am pretty happy with it (much cheaper than buying a copy from 1989).

BTW of those games, Super Pro Decathlon has the reputation of being rough on controllers, so it'd be great if that's on your Flashback too. Blockade Runner is an interesting space shooter, sort of along the lines of Star Voyager for Atari 2600 -- seems like a bad game but the more you play it, the more it grows on you (like a fungus, or...).

Fathom is ambitious but sort of opaque, while Pole Position is...let's call it a noble attempt. Haven't played World Cup Soccer.

MSR1701 wrote:For some reason looking at the image of Dreadnaught Factor makes me think of Uridium for the C64... odd.

Totally. Did you know The Last Starfighter for NES is a (very bad) port of that game?

If you like "take on a giant space dreadnaught" games, Steel Machine for CD-i is an interesting example. It pushes the hardware hard, and doesn't always succeed -- which is to say that it's rough around the edges, control-wise, and tooth-gnashingly frustrating -- but the game's saving grace is that you can save after each level, which makes a world of difference.

It's not a first-rate game, maybe not even a second-rate one, but by CD-i standards it's quite impressive.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 17th, 2021, 8:11 am

Totally. Did you know The Last Starfighter for NES is a (very bad) port of that game?

If you like "take on a giant space dreadnaught" games, Steel Machine for CD-i is an interesting example. It pushes the hardware hard, and doesn't always succeed -- which is to say that it's rough around the edges, control-wise, and tooth-gnashingly frustrating -- but the game's saving grace is that you can save after each level, which makes a world of difference.

It's not a first-rate game, maybe not even a second-rate one, but by CD-i standards it's quite impressive.

Blast, I forgot that fact about Last Starfighter NES... Thanks for the reminder.
Poor Last Starfighter... couldn't catch a break... the Atari 2600 project for that license was repurposed and the NES version... the Last Starfighter wasn't THAT bad a movie, I rather enjoyed it.

GeoX

Postby GeoX » April 17th, 2021, 3:56 pm

So you’ll need to bomb the “vents” to destroy the ship eh?
Man it seemed like every space shooter in the was “borrowing” from Star Wars.
X wings, TIE fighters, Imperial walkers and of course the trench scene with the player bombing the vent... can’t they put a grill on those this or at least a piece of plywood (from Stewie Vader).
Some of the knockoffs did a better job than the licensed versions did!

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » April 18th, 2021, 9:45 am

You forgot to mention that if you call the phone number on the manual for Lady Bug you can score yourself a great deal on a medical alert device sold to you by a robot woman. That's gotta be worth a half letter grade.

Return to “Review Feedback”