2021/5/20: Sega CD: Sewer Shark, Supreme Warrior

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Cafeman

Re: 2021/5/20: Sega CD: Sewer Shark, Supreme Warrior

Postby Cafeman » May 21st, 2021, 11:18 pm

I wasn't interested in SS or really any FMV game BITD, but over time I've played it a bit and it can be fun. It's so unfortunate and ironic that Sega would focus on FMV when the Sega CD doesn't have the the horsepower to make it look decent.

I rented Supreme Warrior, and could not figure out how to beat opponents. Agree with F.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » May 22nd, 2021, 8:32 am

Wow, I remember harassing you to play/review Sewer Shark at some point in the distant past and you just now get around to it - and no mention in your review of what your cargo is that you're trying to deliver at the beginning of the game! Juvenile humor at it's best, but I thought it was hilarious when I first heard it.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » May 22nd, 2021, 9:00 am

C64_Critic wrote:Wow, I remember harassing you to play/review Sewer Shark at some point in the distant past and you just now get around to it - and no mention in your review of what your cargo is that you're trying to deliver at the beginning of the game! Juvenile humor at it's best, but I thought it was hilarious when I first heard it.

LOL. I do find myself watching the FMVs for a laugh. One of the better mix of cheese, writing and performance to enjoy. So many later FMV games didnt have that...

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 22nd, 2021, 9:32 am

Cafeman wrote:It's so unfortunate and ironic that Sega would focus on FMV when the Sega CD doesn't have the the horsepower to make it look decent.

Tell that to Prize Fighter. Those ring entrances alone would have sold me the system. (Probably because I've never actually played the game.)

Lunar: Eternal Blue is another game that turned the system's limitations into a style choice. And Slipheed's FMV polygon count boost was genius.

But none of that matters, because back in the day? All that dithering blended well. And the moment an FMV game started? It was mind-blowing next generation tech. People would watch me play, who weren't gamers at all.

It was just the actual gameplay itself, that killed our excitement. Other than indie games like Her Story, is simple video playback ever anything more than a novelty gimmick?

It's not like these games got any more popular on PS1. (I think D was the only exception in the west?)

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » May 22nd, 2021, 9:42 am

Not to mention that FMV was legitimately viewed as a viable path to future games in ye olden days. Even as the games began to be viewed as trash, the fact they sold kept the medium alive.

I love when I see people championing the PCE CD as doing CDs and FMV right (minimal FMVs in games, traditional style of games instead), yet forget that the US market was not in favor sale wise of those styles.

On a side note, NECs followup to the PCE CD was the PC-FX, which was heavy into FMV Anime games. By the time that system was released, hardware and software development both moved on to highly advanced 2D and advancing 3D tech...

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 22nd, 2021, 5:16 pm

MSR1701 wrote:I love when I see people championing the PCE CD as doing CDs and FMV right (minimal FMVs in games, traditional style of games instead), yet forget that the US market was not in favor sale wise of those styles.

Yeah, the market was really...interesting. But with that said, Sega could have done a better job of educating consumers. (And third parties.) When you're trying to justify the cost of your expensive new hardware add-on, maybe don't let someone make Afterburner III?

It's somehow worse than Afterburner II.

And maybe don't make the pack-in shooter a game that's available in cart, as well?

If Nintendo can sell mode 7 as being a revolutionary game changer, just imagine what Sega could have done with enough scaling sprites (both real and FMV) to create something that looks like Rad Mobile? Throw Sonic in PowerDrift, add rings and hazards, and you basically have Sonic Adventure before the Dreamcast. (And without the hub worlds to drag it down.)

djc

Postby djc » May 22nd, 2021, 8:35 pm

When you're trying to justify the cost of your expensive new hardware add-on, maybe don't let someone make Afterburner III?

Am I the only one who actually likes Afterburner III? The first Afterburner game I played was the Master System version (which explains a lot I guess) and I am quite good at that one. A few years after that, I finally saw and played it in an arcade. Eventually the PC Engine and 32X versions became my favorite.

My only gripe with Afterburner III is that it's a little too easy. The first time I played it, my game went on for what felt like an eternity.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » May 23rd, 2021, 5:37 am

djc wrote:
When you're trying to justify the cost of your expensive new hardware add-on, maybe don't let someone make Afterburner III?

Am I the only one who actually likes Afterburner III? The first Afterburner game I played was the Master System version (which explains a lot I guess) and I am quite good at that one. A few years after that, I finally saw and played it in an arcade. Eventually the PC Engine and 32X versions became my favorite.

My only gripe with Afterburner III is that it's a little too easy. The first time I played it, my game went on for what felt like an eternity.

Never played III, need to give it a go.

Return to “Review Feedback”