2021/5/20: Sega CD: Sewer Shark, Supreme Warrior

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2021/5/20: Sega CD: Sewer Shark, Supreme Warrior

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 20th, 2021, 4:41 pm

These are two re-reviews, but the grades are the same. It's been over 20 years since the previous reviews. Let me know what you think.

ASalvaro

Re: 2021/5/20: Sega CD: Sewer Shark, Supreme Warrior

Postby ASalvaro » May 20th, 2021, 8:27 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:These are two re-reviews, but the grades are the same. It's been over 20 years since the previous reviews. Let me know what you think.

i think a D is harsh! Sewer Shark is one of the only games that actually made me sweat when i finally reached the end lol..i think it's one of the best FMV games released for the system

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 20th, 2021, 9:09 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:These are two re-reviews, but the grades are the same. It's been over 20 years since the previous reviews. Let me know what you think.

A head's up. Changing the language in Supreme Warrior is as easy as accidentally hitting B and C too close together. It might even be easier than that. I haven't tested every combination.

This game is cursed.

djc

Postby djc » May 20th, 2021, 11:40 pm

ASalvaro wrote:

i think a D is harsh! Sewer Shark is one of the only games that actually made me sweat when i finally reached the end lol..i think it's one of the best FMV games released for the system

Agreed here. Sewer Shark was the first game I beat on my Sega CD (::shakes fist:: "I'll get you Beach Bum!!") and I always enjoyed playing it. Definitely easier playing with a second person who can monitor the directions/turns while you focus on shooting.

The last sequence with the brain eating bugs was pretty intense and does make you sweat a bit.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » May 21st, 2021, 4:45 am

Sewer Shark is cheezy with the FMVs and for that I love it; however, trying to play the game was never an easy goal, as it felt like trial and error to get the timing right when making the turns, never mind the shooting.

Of note, Sewer Shark and Night Trap were two projects that began on a Hasburo 1980s game system that never materialized, and the rights owners kept them until the tech was there to make use of them (the Sega CD in Sewer Shark's case).

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » May 21st, 2021, 10:10 am

If you grew up in the 90s and played videogames you couldn’t escape those Sewer Shark commercials. The perfect blend of attitude and schlock…a relic of marketing from a very specific and unique moment in time.

Anywho, Nintendo…it’s time to put Ghost in Smash!

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » May 21st, 2021, 10:37 am

I never played Sewer Shark at the time but wow what a limited game. There are so many great names attached to this monstrosity. Not sure I see the point of a 3d shooter where you shoot rats in a sewer. The FMV is a good laugh and the reference to the JS Cardone scripted movie.. Crash and Burn is good. I would assume that this got played as it was the freebie with the Mega CD. Otherwise I think it would have sold 5 copies. Giving it an F is generous.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » May 21st, 2021, 11:09 am

BlasteroidAli wrote:I never played Sewer Shark at the time but wow what a limited game. There are so many great names attached to this monstrosity. Not sure I see the point of a 3d shooter where you shoot rats in a sewer. The FMV is a good laugh and the reference to the JS Cardone scripted movie.. Crash and Burn is good. I would assume that this got played as it was the freebie with the Mega CD. Otherwise I think it would have sold 5 copies. Giving it an F is generous.

Hmm, the reference to Crash 'n Burn as the pack-in makes me think you might be getting mixed up between the Mega/Sega CD and the 3DO? Understandably, because both of these reviewed games also came out in 3DO versions!

(Neither 3DO release has yet been reviewed by the Critic, as it happens...maybe it's not a coincidence and he's planning something? :D)

I'm actually quite curious if the 3DO version of Sewer Shark improves upon the Sega CD release. The 3DO in many ways ended up being a kind of upgraded Sega CD, in that a bunch of FMV titles came out on both platforms and looked better on the 3DO.

(Dunno if they played better as a result, though Star Wars: Rebel Assault is definitely easier to deal with on the 3DO because it's easier to see what's going on. Same with Crime Patrol.)

Anyway, nice to see these re-reviews, and looking forward to hearing if the 32X version of Supreme Warrior is any easier to deal with! I was able to get a little ways into the game before I bailed on it, so I suspect it might be.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » May 21st, 2021, 12:58 pm

The gameplay in Sewer Shark is extremely basic but still kind of fun. I enjoyed it back in the day. The simplicity is probably why it was the pack in title.

crimefighter

Postby crimefighter » May 21st, 2021, 9:36 pm

Supreme Warrior - no walkthrus? That's when you watch the longplays --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyak7VQhW4o

Return to “Review Feedback”