2021/5/26: 3DO: Sewer Shark, Cyberia

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2021/5/26: 3DO: Sewer Shark, Cyberia

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 26th, 2021, 5:12 pm

A few of you may have seen this coming - a new set of 3DO reviews!

Sewer Shark is MUCH better than the Sega CD edition. Cyberia? Well it is what it is.

Thoughts?

BlasteroidAli

Re: 2021/5/26: 3DO: Sewer Shark, Cyberia

Postby BlasteroidAli » May 26th, 2021, 8:57 pm

Thanks for the reviews. FMV games are great for about 4 mins. It is the cheese factor I love about them. When they were first released they were cheesy beyond belief and nothing in the intervening years has changed that fact. It is good to see the graphics upgrade for sewer shark.
I used to play this game Astron Belt in the arcades. A lamentable laserdisc arcade game. Sega made it. Back then it was cutting edge. Cutting edge for awfulness that is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roCbZXqBDaE&ab_channel=OldClassicRetroGaming
This was the very first fmv laser disc game. This is where Sewer shark came from.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » May 26th, 2021, 9:50 pm

Oh man, I am always glad to see 3DO reviews, especially new ones! Not surprised that Sewer Shark is a big upgrade over the Sega CD version, but I'm pleased that it's more playable as a result. I'll have to fire it up and then go back to the Sega CD version, since I'll actually know what I'm looking at.

If anything I think you were rather kind to Cyberia -- that game gave me serious ennui when I tried to get somewhere with it! -- but maybe I'll give it another try. DEFCON 5, a PAL exclusive for the 3DO that plays fine on NTSC (and was also released on PS1 and Saturn), gave me similar feelings of aimless emptiness.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » May 28th, 2021, 10:00 am

I'm always stoked to see 3DO reviews on the site. It's my favorite "failed" console of the 90s and I genuinely adore it.

Man I remember being so blown away by the graphics of Cyberia. For some reason I recall the game locking up at specific point on my Goldstar 3DO. I would get to a certain spot and it would always crash. It wasn't until years later when I procured a Panasonic 3DO (yeah, I've got two of em...) that I finally got past that part in the first 10 minutes of the game. I was so excited. Then I made it to some never-ending shooting section and I gave up lol.

Cyberia was all style and zero substance.

djc

Postby djc » May 28th, 2021, 11:04 am

It's interesting...

I never played Sewer Shark on the 3DO and just looked at some video of it on YouTube and I have to say that I think I prefer the Sega CD version. Yes - the 3DO video is superior for sure but there is something more gritty/grungy about the Sega CD version. Maybe it's because the in-game music was provided by the Genesis (which was an odd choice) or perhaps it is because it is more immersive due to the fact that the video continues to the sides of the ship you are riding in as opposed to being just in front of you if that makes any sense.

I'm sure gameplay is comparable between the two systems and I will try to hunt down a 'not ridiculously priced' version for the 3DO to have in my collection.

I've always felt the 3DO was way ahead of its time and if it was priced more competitively, would've won the next console generation beating both the Saturn and Playstation.

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » May 28th, 2021, 1:54 pm

Pretty much every game that is on Sega CD and 3DO is MUCH better on the 3DO. Especially the FMV ones like Sewer Shart (sic) and Night Trap.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » May 29th, 2021, 7:22 pm

travistouchdown wrote:Pretty much every game that is on Sega CD and 3DO is MUCH better on the 3DO. Especially the FMV ones like Sewer Shart (sic) and Night Trap.

Not all of them, though. In particular the Sega CD version of B.C. Racers is significantly better than the 32X or 3DO versions. Out of This World is also a matter of opinion, though personally I do like the weird, sped-up, new-coat-of-paint 3DO version.

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » October 26th, 2021, 11:29 am

Interesting! I have the 32X version of BC Racers (not great) but not the Sega CD version. I'll have to check it out because i enjoy the premise and think a more polished version would be quite enjoyable. Thanks for the tip!

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 26th, 2021, 1:50 pm

travistouchdown wrote:Interesting! I have the 32X version of BC Racers (not great) but not the Sega CD version. I'll have to check it out because i enjoy the premise and think a more polished version would be quite enjoyable. Thanks for the tip!

If I recall, the 32X version of BC Racers is often cited as the weaker of the versions, with the Sega CD and PC version often being listed as the better releases.

3DO does have some versions of games that are superior on its platform than on the Sega CD, though most of these instances it is the FMV games that are better (usually due to better video quality).

Return to “Review Feedback”