2021/6/19: Atari XEGS: Dragonriders of Pern

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2021/6/19: Atari XEGS: Dragonriders of Pern

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 19th, 2021, 5:25 pm

Let me know what you think about my review of this old Epyx computer game!

SpiceWare

Re: 2021/6/19: Atari XEGS: Dragonriders of Pern

Postby SpiceWare » June 20th, 2021, 1:03 pm

Loved Dragonriders of Pern, named my Model 3* Talith after one of the blue dragons in the series.

I played this on the C=64, but don't remember much about it so it must not have kept my interest.

I've long had an idea of writing an original 2600 game inspired by the series, but never got around to it. Main waves would have your dragon flying around defending the cropland with gameplay kinda like Misisle Command, but you'd be flying around and flaming instead of launching missiles.

The teleportation aspect would be handled via a keypad controller plugged into the other port, letting you teleport to 12 onscreen locations. I'm not sure how well that would actually work in the heat of the battle. Might be better to use a multibutton gamepad and have the 2nd button teleport you in the direction of the joystick, though we didn't know the 2600 could read an extra fire button on some gamepads back then (on a Genesis gamepad B = 2600 fire, C = secondary fire, while on an Amiga joypad it's Red = 2600 fire, Blue = secondary fire) .

Every few rounds would be a bonus screen where you'd swoop down on herds to feed the dragon.

* Yes, Tesla lets you name your car:
IMG_1991D.JPG
IMG_1991D.JPG (83.26 KiB) Viewed 710 times

which shows up in the app
IMG_1741.jpg
IMG_1741.jpg (101.98 KiB) Viewed 710 times

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » June 20th, 2021, 6:28 pm

The thing to note about this game is not that it is called the Dragonriders. It that is is called the Dragonriders of Pern. Knowing that it is based on a series of books you know it will be esoteric and probably not much fun. My fave author is Harlan Ellison. One of his most famous stories and it is alleged that Terminator was based on it, was "I have no mouth and I must scream"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Have_No_Mouth%2C_and_I_Must_Scream

So when I found out a pc game was made from it I had to have it. I bought it on pc and it was back in the 90s so I could not get into it. I just put it down to experience. Came with a lovely mouse mat. Very good. So imagine my joy when I found I could get it on steam. After playing it for a couple of hours I came to the same conclusion. Wow this game is hard. I have never finished it but it is based on a story and it is obtuse.

Also Shadow of the comet from Atari games is a 90s pc game. It makes IHNMAIMS seem like a perfectly well executed game as it is hard and obtuse plus not much fun. That is what Dop sounds like. A great idea without a system that has the power to take the game to fruition.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » June 20th, 2021, 9:50 pm

I have no experience with the game, but loved seeing this review, which triggered memories of reading those books as a kid.

One of the things I like about your reviews is that even when you don't like a game, you often write in a way that makes it fairly easy to tell whether I'd like the game. This is no exception -- I have a feeling it might be up my alley, so maybe I'll try it!

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » June 21st, 2021, 1:09 pm

I started reading the first book released in the series...and man is it a slog. It's got some serious Hand Maiden tales of woe is me, I'm a woman in a man's world with dragons. I'm maybe a quarter or a third in it and have stopped reading it. Normally, I get hooked and and finish everything even if it's not great. But this...am I crazy?

For everyone that enjoys the series, I'm assuming it gets better but this is bad. What makes it so good? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the slog or to cut my losses and move on.

SpiceWare

Postby SpiceWare » June 21st, 2021, 5:19 pm

it's worth it. I was dumfounded by some of the reveals in the later books, so won't say anything that would spoil that.

I started out with The Harper Hall trilogy (Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, Dragondrums) after receiving them as gifts from a friend in the 70s. They take place concurrently with the events in the original trilogy (Dragonflight, Dragonquest, The White Dragon) that I acquired soon after.

Dragonsong does start out with a "you're a girl so you can't become a Harper", but she becomes a very important Harper.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » June 21st, 2021, 5:33 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Let me know what you think about my review of this old Epyx computer game!

i love your Atari 8 bit computer reviews..as i said before the 800xl was my main computer in 1985 and i still love it..one question are you using an emulator or the actual floppies and Disk drive to play these?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 21st, 2021, 9:05 pm

Still rocking the 1050 floppy drive! I believe those disks last forever if you take good care of them.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » June 22nd, 2021, 1:53 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Still rocking the 1050 floppy drive! I believe those disks last forever if you take good care of them.

thats awesome! and really adds to the experience

GeoX

Postby GeoX » June 23rd, 2021, 2:14 am

ASalvaro wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:Still rocking the 1050 floppy drive! I believe those disks last forever if you take good care of them.

thats awesome! and really adds to the experience

Love the 1050/800xl juggernaut!

I have to brag to people that can truly appreciate it…

Last month at Half-Price books I picked up an ORIGINAL 800 with all cables and two controllers plus five cartridges for… drumroll please…

50 bucks!!!

This is the first time I have ever had the original and it is a huge tan magnificent beast!
I really lucked out this time!

Eric

Return to “Review Feedback”