2021/7/1: Nintendo Switch: BurgerTime Party, Ring Fit Adventure

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2021/7/1: Nintendo Switch: BurgerTime Party, Ring Fit Adventure

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 1st, 2021, 3:23 pm

Feel free to comment on my latest set of Nintendo Switch reviews.

Retro STrife

Re: 2021/7/1: Nintendo Switch: BurgerTime Party, Ring Fit Adventure

Postby Retro STrife » July 1st, 2021, 5:32 pm

Both excellent reviews. Burgertime is one of my favorite arcade games, so it's disappointing to see that this new version wasn't well done. ( 8-) that's a burger pun, folks..) I guess it's not too surprising though. It's really hard to take old classics and modernize them without dumbing them down.

Really surprised by the Ring Fit Adventure review. I've never wanted to play an exercise game before -- I try not to mix chores with my leisure -- but this game sounds like fun in your review. Is it mostly just a cardio workout though? It's hard for me to imagine how it would incorporate enough weight/resistance for any real strength training.

crimefighter

Postby crimefighter » July 1st, 2021, 6:52 pm

You probably needed to play the Japan-only Super Burgertime arcade game to bridge the gap between the original arcade game and this new game. Super Burgertime added a lot of powerups, five worlds, boss fights and was two player.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 1st, 2021, 7:31 pm

Every time I looked at Ring Fit Adventure, I rolled my eyes. Just another lame attempt to combine video games with exercise. I figured that trend pretty much peaked with Pokemon: Go and had nowhere to go but down. But hearing how much you enjoyed RFA, I'm a little interested in trying it out now.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 1st, 2021, 9:27 pm

Whaaaaaaat? RING FIT?? Wow. Now here's a game that I never thought I would see getting a review on this site. Color me pleasantly surprised.

Guys, this game is legit. My wife bought it right around the time it came out (early 2020) and has played it regularly ever since. Yes, she has played an effin' exercise game on a regular basis for the last year and a half! Her last session was two days ago, and she played it for 45 minutes. The game gives you plenty of warm-up and cool-down options, prompting you to stretch beforehand and stay hydrated throughout. She likes to stretch at the start, do a level or two in Adventure Mode, do some challenge activities / mini games after that, then wrap it all up with about 10 minutes of the "rhythm dancing" mode at the end. She is not out of shape, yet it leaves her sweaty and winded - and always wanting to come back for more.

I was skeptical when she bought it, but I've been so happy that she's been enjoying it. And, yes, it's can be fun to watch someone else play it, too... for a variety or reasons :roll:

Joking aside, she's talked several friends into getting it, and even though it was hard to find for a while, it's now regularly in-stock in stores. It's also worth noting that the ring included is an actual Pilates ring, and has a great amount of flex and resistance. As mentioned in the review, it's a quality piece of equipment. Also, the leg strap and both padded grips on the ring are removable and washable, which is a must after a few workouts. We wash the fabric bits gently by hand and let them air dry. They've held up to months after months of use with no issues or major wear.

While the exercises do mostly skew towards cardio and yoga-style poses, there is a whole section of strength-training activities which revolve mostly around the ring, itself. These are the modes I play, challenges like how many times you can squeeze the ring in a minute, how tightly you can press it in, how long you can hold it pressed, etc. The mini games associated with these activities are a blast, too! My favorite involves scaling a climbing wall, or attacking oncoming robots with a giant paper fan. The lighthearted nature of the game really is a plus.

All in all, I think that "A-" rating is right on, and well-deserved. I really do think this is the best fitness game ever made, and would recommend it to anyone in a [exercise-accelerated] heartbeat!

SIDE NOTE: You can also use the ring controller when not playing the game - and get rewarded for it. Simply put the right JoyCon in the ring when the game is not in use, and press on the joystick. It will beep and vibrate gently. This activates a sort of "away mode" where you can use the Pilates ring freely throughout the day, and any squeezes or pulls will cause the ring to gently beep as it keeps track of your activities. I believe it can remember up to 500 squeezes or pulls. Once you boot the game back up, it recognizes the work you've done, and gives you in-game rewards and bonuses for the Adventure Mode based on how many "reps" you put in. Later in the game, this comes in handy, as you'll need all the powerups you can find to beat the final stages!

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » July 2nd, 2021, 8:56 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSCzdRORiJQ&ab_channel=liquidfiretibby

I have this one and perhaps you can get it on wii on disc. It was the first remake i played. Very hard. Looks like it was download only on the wii.

sixam

Postby sixam » July 2nd, 2021, 10:08 am

You may be interested in another sequel to Burgertime available on the Switch. Super Burgertime is the arcade sequel Data East released in 1990. Flying Tiger Entertainment released a bunch of Data East games on the Switch for download.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/j ... me-switch/

Voor

Postby Voor » July 2nd, 2021, 2:22 pm

Y’all know I love speedrunning, so I’ll go ahead and answer the question. Yes, they’re are people who speedrun this game, and yes, it’s crazy. Here’s the old World record for world 1 at highest intensity (minus the boss).

https://youtu.be/L7OaWqY5X9I

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 2nd, 2021, 7:09 pm

Sorry for the double post, but is the "Chicks Dig This" icon still a thing? Given my wife's reaction to Ring Fit (she played it for another 45-minute session today!) I think adding the icon to the review wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

(Get it? Stretch? Exercise Joke...? Sorry...)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 3rd, 2021, 9:15 am

Matchstick wrote:Sorry for the double post, but is the "Chicks Dig This" icon still a thing? Given my wife's reaction to Ring Fit (she played it for another 45-minute session today!) I think adding the icon to the review wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

(Get it? Stretch? Exercise Joke...? Sorry...)

Great observation. This definitely deserves the chick icon, especially since it was recommended to me by a girl.

Return to “Review Feedback”