2021/8/2: Game Boy: Operation C

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2021/8/2: Game Boy: Operation C

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 2nd, 2021, 6:56 pm

I had a heck of a lot of fun reviewing this one. I'd call it a hidden gem, but I imagine it was actually pretty popular back in the day. Comments??

jon

Re: 2021/8/2: Game Boy: Operation C

Postby jon » August 2nd, 2021, 8:35 pm

I love this game. But the limited number of continues hurts when I'm not necessarily the best gamer anyways. This review is getting me psyched to try to get further. Looking forward to more Game Boy reviews.

Hagane

Postby Hagane » August 2nd, 2021, 11:15 pm

This game has one cool feature, you can combine spread gund + homing gun, with this combination it really looks like lots of killer bees on screen searching for their victims.

Also, if you already have spread gun, if you pick another spread gun icon it doubles the amount of projectiles.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 3rd, 2021, 7:44 am

As much as I love the Gameboy library, reading your reviews reminds me of how much I've taken it for granted.

Also, the words "forgotten", "ignored", and "surprising" feature a lot in other reviews of the game. It seems to be that rarest of hidden gems; one where a large number of people are aware of it, and would probably enjoy it, but simply underestimate what it offers.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 3rd, 2021, 8:30 am

This was a good game, though I had played Contra - Alien Wars before and this one just didn't feel as polished as that one.
Still, another great Konami/Ultra Games Game Boy release!

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » August 3rd, 2021, 2:47 pm

It's funny - I was just playing this one not even two or three days ago. The Game Boy stash is one of the only things I've unpacked since we moved, so the library's been getting pretty heavy rotation these past few months.

I like this one! Hearing the classic Contra theme throughout the first level does really get you amped up. I also like how the weapon drops seem to happen just when you need them most. In the first level, the Homing weapon powerup drops just before the submarines and boats start appearing below. I see what you did there...

I could do without the overheard stages, myself, but it's nice to see some variety in gameplay. Honestly, I have the same gripe with the OG Contra and Super C. I can crush the first stages without losing a life, then proceed to get my butt kicked during the behind-the-back / overhead stages. Oh, well.

(Despite its great difficulty, this is the main reason why I like Contra Hard Corps so much, as it keeps a fairly consistent side-scrolling perspective throughout the entire game.)

The shifting vantage points seem to be a bit of a Contra hallmark, but how many other shoot-'em-ups out there switch perspectives on you between levels?? I can only think of one off the top of my head - Axelay, for the Super Nintendo. Also made by Konami.

Hmmmm...

strat

Postby strat » August 3rd, 2021, 5:17 pm

This might be the first GB game to capture all the excellence of an NES classic while being tailored to the GB screen. Great fun to rip through.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 3rd, 2021, 6:02 pm

Matchstick wrote:The shifting vantage points seem to be a bit of a Contra hallmark, but how many other shoot-'em-ups out there switch perspectives on you between levels??
Hmmmm...

Life Force.

Also by Konami.

But Sega's Thunderblade proves other companies were willing to experiment, as does Nintendo's Starfox. Meanwhile, Platoon on 8-bits demonstrates the wrong way to go about it.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » August 3rd, 2021, 6:17 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Life Force. Also by Konami.

*smacks forehead*

D'oh! I knew I was forgetting another obvious one! Nice catch 8-)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 3rd, 2021, 9:27 pm

Were there other Contra games for the Game Boy too?

Return to “Review Feedback”